uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Parkinson's Disease

Where can I find out more about Parkinson's disease?

Parkinson's UK is a national support and fundraising charity. The website is packed with information about Parkinson's. You will find out all the latest news, publications and research updates, as well as contact information for support groups in your area.

Join the online discussion forum to share your experiences of living with Parkinson's and chat to other people in the same situation. Everyone affected by the condition is welcome to join, including families and carers.

Parkinson’s UK

Telephone:0808 800 0303 (Helpline number). Text Relay: 18001 0808 800 0303 (for textphone users only)


Email:Send Email

Who are the health professional in the Isle of Man who can help with the management of Parkinson’s?

General Practitioner

If you think you have Parkinson's, the first person you should see is your GP.

Your GP should refer you to a Parkinson's specialist doctor for diagnosis. The GP can also refer you to a range of other healthcare professionals, such as psychologists and physiotherapists.

General practitioners play a key role in the ongoing management and care of people with Parkinson’s

Consultant Physician with special interest in stroke and movement disorders

Dr Thomas is a Geriatrician and General physician with interest in stroke and movement disorders. Patients are referred to Dr Thomas by GPs or other specialists.

Dr Thomas does both acute general medical care of in-patients in the hospital and holds out-patient clinics at Nobles and Ramsey. New patients referred with suspected Parkinson’s disease are seen by him or his team members within 6 weeks of referral in one of these clinics. Once the diagnosis is confirmed and patients are stabilised on treatment, they are transferred to the designated Parkinson’s clinic to be followed up on a regular basis by himself or his registrar along with the Parkinson’s nurse specialist. The clinic is held at Nobles on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Thursday afternoon of each month in DATU (near Newlands).

Patients may be referred to a neurologist for a second opinion or further specialist support by the Nobles doctors. This may be either through visiting neurologists or by travelling to Walton centre, Liverpool.

GP’s and other team members are able to give you advice or escalate concerns to the hospital specialist.

Parkinson’s Nurse Specialist

Tel: +44 1624 642676 (answerphone available)


The Parkinson's Nurse Specialist provides specialist nursing to people with Parkinson's disease. Patients are seen in both hospital and community settings according to their individual requirements. The service provides information, education and support to both clients and carers at any stage of their illness, and works to ensure that they receive not only optimum care but also improved quality of life. Individual medication regimes can be adjusted by the Parkinson's Nurse Specialist.

Parkinson’s Specialist Occupational Therapist

Community Adult Therapies Service

Tel:  +44 1624 642511

An Occupational Therapist can help you carry on with a wide range of day-to-day tasks, so you can maintain your health and independence. They can provide help and training on new ways to carry out daily activities such as bathing, dressing, eating working and learning. They can also offer advice on adapting your home or workplace to meet your needs, assessing and recommending equipment and special devices to help. They can promote your sense of wellbeing by helping you find ways to continue with hobbies and interests and provide strategies and advice on managing fatigue, anxiety and sleep problems.

Parkinson’s Specialist Physiotherapist

Neuro Outpatients 

Tel: +44 1624 642158

A specialist neurological physiotherapist usually assesses and treats people in the outpatient department at Community Health Centre, Westmoreland Road.  However if required the assessment can be carried out in the patient’s home. The aim is to enable people with a long term neurological condition to  carry out activities of daily living that are important to them, as safely and as independently as possible.

The neurological Physiotherapists will help you to identify difficulties in your everyday life and try to find practical ways in which you can become more independent in these activities. This can be through the process of rehabilitation, provision of treatment strategies, or by advising on appropriate care.

We also support carers who are looking after adults with a physical disability or illness.

You can only be referred to this service by a GP, a neurologist, specialist nurse or other healthcare professional who knows you. Once known to this team you can refer yourself to the service by telephone.

Speech and Language Therapist

Tel: +44 1624 650128

Speech and language therapists are healthcare professionals who specialise in all aspects of communication, including non-verbal communication such as facial expressions and body language.

They will give you tips and techniques to help resolve swallowing and communication problems you may experience. For example, difficulty in putting your thoughts into words or understanding what others are saying.

Social Worker

Adult Social Care (Adult Services Access Team)

Tel: +44 1624 686179

The Adult Social Care teams play a central role in protecting and safeguarding the Island’s vulnerable adults. The responsibilities of our teams are broad and include providing support, help and advice to adults with physical or learning disabilities and to other vulnerable adults and older people through a combination of social work support, guidance and signposting. 

Community Pharmacist

Medication routines prescribed for Parkinson’s can vary between individuals in the types of preparation, the dosages given and the time at which they are taken. Your community pharmacist can help you get the most out of your medication.

Is there a local support group?

Parkinson’s IOM

Administration Assistant

Telephone:+44 7624 309409 (mobile)

Email:Send Email


Mrs Pamela Shimwell-Mayo (Chair, Parkinson's IOM)

Telephone:+44 1624 897504

Is there a Parkinson’s UK Local Adviser for the Isle of Man?

Beverley Jackson (Parkinson's UK Local Adviser)

Telephone:0344 255 3748

Email:Send Email

Your Parkinson's local adviser will have a wide range of knowledge and expertise about Parkinson's, and know about services available in your area.

Parkinson's local advisers are there to turn to, so no-one has to face Parkinson's alone, providing free, confidential information and signposting – whether you have the condition or you're a carer, friend or family member of someone with Parkinson’s.

Parkinson's local advisers can help if you:

  • are looking for tips on how to deal with the day-to-day impact of Parkinson's
  • need emotional support
  • want to find out more about the services available in your area
  • have just been diagnosed and are looking for advice and information about your condition
  • want to learn about your rights and entitlements
  • need help navigating the benefits process
  • need information on where to find grants and financial help
  • are looking for support on employment issues
  • need support with anything else relating to your life with Parkinson's


Is there a helpline I could call?

A confidential helpline - Monday to Friday 9am to 8pm, Saturday 10am to 2pm, is available from the Parkinson's UK charity. There are expert nurses and helpline staff available to provide impartial information about all aspects of Parkinson's, including taking medication, claiming benefits and much more. And you can contact them if you want to talk to someone about living with the condition.

Anyone affected by Parkinson's can call or email the helpline for support and information. The service is confidential and calls are free from landlines and most mobile networks. An interpreting service is available for anyone who doesn't speak English.

Parkinson’s UK

Telephone:0808 800 0303 (Helpline number). Text Relay: 18001 0808 800 0303 (for textphone users only)


Email:Send Email

I am a health professional and would like to learn more about Parkinson's. Where can I get more information?

The Parkinson's UK website provides a vast amount of information for professionals wishing to find out more about the condition, including information about a range of courses and seminars. There is also a professionals network, information on key policies in Parkinson's, guidelines for health and social care practitioners and highlighted areas of good practice to inform service development.

Did you find what you were looking for?
Back to top