uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies


Your GP may refer you first to the ENT clinic for medical treatment and this can often include an Audiological assessment.  We work closely with ENT but we are autonomous. You will be referred on to us if hearing and balance testing are required. On some occasions, you may be referred by your GP directly to Audiology. If you have a concern about your hearing or balance, the usual practice is to see your GP first.

If you are over the age of 50 you can make a self-referral and do not need to be referred by the GP. To self-refer, you must not have:

  • Pain in the ears
  • Sudden change in hearing in the last 3 months
  • Hearing loss affecting only one ear
  • Tinnitus (noises) affecting only one ear

Episodes of dizziness where you feel you are spinning around and you feel sick.

Audiology Self Referral green button

Leaflet about Self-Referral for Hearing Assessment and Hearing Aids

Did you find what you were looking for?
Back to top