Vocational Training Assistance Scheme
The Vocational Training Assistance Scheme ('VTAS') is a discretionary scheme operated by the Department of Education, Sport and Culture which can provide financial assistance to both businesses and individuals wishing to undertake vocational training.
In line with the Department’s aim of raising the skills of the Island’s workforce and this scheme provides financial support for a range of courses and initiatives which will likely have a positive impact on the productivity of individuals and competiveness of Manx businesses.
The principal purpose of providing financial assistance under the VTAS is to develop the skills of the Island's workforce in order to stimulate wider economic benefits (revenues, jobs, profits, expenditure in the local economy) and associated fiscal benefits (direct and indirect taxes) which are far in excess of the cost of the support provided.
All applications are considered on their individual merits, however, in broad terms the department considers how the proposed training activity will:
- improve an individual's likelihood of gaining employment
- improve an individual's skills and effectiveness within the workplace
- benefit the employer through increased productivity
- benefit the employer by expanding the range of products and services offered
- benefit the employer by increasing revenue to the company
- provide skills for new and emerging sectors
Although discretionary, it is unlikely that training in the following areas will attract funding:
- Continuing Professional Development (CPD) such as Institute of Leadership and Management (ILM)
- Below level 2 or above level 5 on the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF)
- Higher Level Diploma, Certificate, Award or that considered to be at Post Graduate level
- Training which ordinarily would be delivered by an employer such as Health & Safety, First Aid, etc.
All applications should be submitted in advance of the planned training activity and retrospective applications will not be considered. We aim to process application within 10 days and applicants will be notified of the department decision in writing.
The assistance is claimed once all training is completed by submitting evidence of payment and completion or certification.
Department of Education
Sport and Culture
Isle of Man
+44 1624 685808