Payment of awards

Fees Grant 

For full-time courses within the UK, the tuition fees grant will be paid directly to your university. If you are taking out a Student Tuition Fees Loan to cover your fees contribution of £2,500, the department will automatically include this with the amount it pays to the university. 

Should you choose to fund the contribution yourself, or where there is an additional means-tested contribution, due to gross income exceeding £100,000 per annum, you or your contributors will need to agree separate payment terms with your university’s finance office. 

For Private/Overseas Institutions and Part-Time/Distance Learning Courses, you will be required to pay your tuition fees in advance. The fees will then be refunded by the department on production of a receipted invoice and, in the case of an overseas institution, confirmation of payment from a student’s or parent’s bank account showing the exchange rate used in the transaction.

Maintenance Grant 

If you qualify for a maintenance grant, this will be paid in termly instalments, at the beginning of each term. Payment will be made by bank transfer and you will be required to provide your bank account details. The Department will withhold payment of your maintenance grant until it is notified of a confirmed offer and acceptance of your university place and, where appropriate, written confirmation of your previous year’s exam results.

Third term grant payments will be withheld until the Department has received verification of your contributors income, normally provided by means of their income tax assessment.