uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies


Applying for a Student Award 

Applications for courses starting in 2017-18 (and for students continuing into their 2nd year of studies) should be made, by the student, using the link to the online application form on this page. Following completion of your on-line application, you will be sent an e-mail confirmation. For 2017-18 the on-line application is the first part of a 2 stage process:-

1 – Collection of core information (to aid provisional awards) etc:-

  • Contact details
  • Course & University details
  • Estimated levels of assistance (tuition fees/maintenance grants)
  • Bank details

2 – Verification of eligibility (confirmation of award)

  • For students studying off Island and/or students requesting a maintenance grant, it is necessary to provide details of parents' ('contributors') income to estimate the extent of assistance available to you. This will require submission of tax assessment notices as supporting evidence.

Apply now

In the events of difficulties applying or if you do not have access to online services, please contact the Student Awards team on +44 1624 685822 and a paper form can be forwarded to you.

Students who commenced study prior to 2016-17 and who are continuing with their third or subsequent years of study will be sent the relevant form for completion to the address currently held on file.

Documents to Submit with your Application 

To help us determine the amount of award you are eligible for, the Department will need you to provide documentation in support of the details supplied in your application.

Verification of Income 

A copy of the Income Tax Resident Assessment Notice is required for each of the contributors in respect of your application.

If you qualify as an Independent student, the Department requires a copy of your own Assessment Notice plus that of your spouse, cohabitant or civil partner, if applicable.

If the Assessment Notice is not available at the time of your application, this needs to be submitted as soon as possible in order to prevent undue delays in the processing of your application.

If a contributor has an income that is derived partly or wholly from a business, or businesses, or a part or controlling interest in a company or trust, they need to submit the following in addition to a copy of the Assessment Notice:

  • Audited or certified trading, profit & loss account;
  • Audited or certified balance sheet;
  • Income Tax Computation.

Please note that where a maintenance grant is payable, the final grant payment will not be distributed until the relevant Assessment Notice has been received by the Department. Also, please be aware that support may have to be reduced or reclaimed should the estimated income figures listed in the original application form prove to be inaccurate once the income verification process is completed.

Verification of Status 

If you are claiming Independent status, the Department may ask you to provide additional documents in order to verify your claim, for example, a copy of your marriage certificate to verify that you are married or a copy of your passport to verify your age. 

If your parents are divorced or separated and you are applying for a maintenance grant, the Department may request to see documentary evidence of your parents’ status.


A contributor is any person who has or had parental responsibility for the student and any other person who treats, or within the previous 2 years has treated, the student as a child of his or her family.

If you qualify as an Independent student, your spouse/cohabitant/civil partner, if applicable, will need to complete the income assessment form. For the purposes of the Student Awards Regulations, you will be classified as a dependent student unless you meet one or more of the following criteria required for Independent status:

  • Have no living parents.
  • Are married or in a civil partnership.
  • Have been looked after by the Department of Social Care, within the meaning of the Children & Young Persons Act 2001, for the 12 months immediately prior to the beginning of the course
  • Have been irreconcilably estranged from both of your parents for at least 12 months and neither parent is providing you with financial support.
  • Have attained the age of 25 years before the start of the course.
  • Have been out of full-time education for 3 years or more before the start of the course.

(You will not be able to claim irreconcilable estrangement just because you do not get on with your parents, you do not live with them, your parents do not want to give details of their income or your parents choose not to provide you with financial support)

Validation of Qualifications 

Where an award is subject to you meeting the academic criteria for support, you will need to submit a copy of your educational qualifications. If these are not available at the time of application, they should be forwarded to the Department as soon as possible after you receive your results.

Confirmation of Acceptance 

You will need to submit a copy of your acceptance or admission letter received from UCAS or your institution, as confirmation that you have been offered a place onto the course for which support is being requested.

When to Apply 

Your completed application form should be submitted to the Student Awards Section by 31 July, 2017. The Department cannot guarantee that applications received after this date will be processed prior to you starting your course. This may lead to the delayed payment of any maintenance grant that has been awarded along with problems in paying the tuition fees to the universities and colleges.

Did you find what you were looking for?
Back to top