Covid-19 Coronavirus

Applying for a Student Award

Documents to Submit with your Application 

To help us determine the amount of award you are eligible for, the Department will need you to provide documentation in support of the details supplied in your application. 

Applicants/Students should supply the following Validation of Qualifications 

Where an award is subject to you meeting the academic criteria for support, you will need to submit a copy of your educational qualifications. If these are not available at the time of application, they should be forwarded to the Department as soon as possible after you receive your results.

Confirmation of Acceptance 

You will need to submit a copy of your acceptance or admission letter received from UCAS or your institution, as confirmation that you have been offered a place onto the course for which support is being requested.

Verification of Status 

If you are claiming Independent status, the Department may ask you to provide additional documents in order to verify your claim, for example, a copy of your marriage certificate to verify that you are married or a copy of your passport to verify your age. 

If your parents are divorced or separated and you are applying for a maintenance grant, the Department may request to see documentary evidence of your parents’ status.

Contributors/Parents should submit the following Verification of Income 

A copy of the Resident Assessment Notice is required for each of the contributors in respect of your application.

Resident Assessment Notice are issued when the income tax return has been processed and the resulting tax liability calculated. This confirms if you owe any tax or if you will be getting a refund. For further details regarding Income Tax.

If you qualify as an Independent student, the Department requires a copy of your own Resident Assessment Notice plus that of your spouse, cohabitant or civil partner, if applicable. 

If the Resident Assessment Notice is not available at the time of your application, this needs to be submitted as soon as possible in order to prevent undue delays in the processing of your application. 

If a contributor has an income that is derived partly or wholly from a business, or businesses, or a part or controlling interest in a company or trust, they need to submit the following in addition to a copy of the Resident Assessment Notice: 

  • Audited or certified trading, profit & loss account
  • Audited or certified balance sheet
  • Income Tax Computation

Please note: that where a maintenance grant is payable, the final grant payment will not be distributed until the relevant Resident Assessment Notice(s) has been received by the Department. Also, please be aware that support may have to be reduced or reclaimed should the estimated income figures listed in the original application form prove to be inaccurate once the income verification process is completed. 

Delays in receiving any of these documents will result in delays in payment. 

Back to top