Medical Undergraduate Students
Nobles Hospital is built on a Greenfield site and opened its doors to the public on 14th July 2003. It is equipped to the highest standards using state of the art technology.
- Serves a resident population of approximately 85,000, plus the many annual visitors to the island.
- Has a complement of 318 beds, provides a wide range of services.
- Medical staff of around 124.6 wte.
- Putting patients first
- Valuing our staff
- Quality improvement and life-long learning
- Leadership, teamwork and empowerment
- Management efficiency and effectiveness
- Whole organisational, learning, integration and development
- Dr Adrian Dashfield, Director of Medical Education
- Dr Chris Till, Undergraduate Lead
- Mark Roberts, Medical Undergraduate Administrator
We are fortunate to have a wealth of Supervising Consultants who are passionate about teaching. As a result, we can offer undergraduate electives within a variety of specialities, including:
- Clinical Radiology
- Emergency Medicine
- General Surgery
- Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- Renal Medicine
- Respiratory Medicine
- Trauma and Orthopaedics
Sometimes a rotation of placements can be arranged, subject to availability.
Requirements to arrange a placement
In order to arrange a placement, we require a letter from your medical school confirming that you are in good health and academic standing. This letter should also confirm the dates of your elective. We also require proof of citizenship, such as a passport, to show that you do not require a Visa to come to the Isle of Man as unfortunately we are unable to accept students outside of the UK and Ireland for placements.
Placements are typically arranged 6-9 months in advance, but sometimes availability can be found at shorter notice than this, but no less than 6 weeks.
As well as teaching within your speciality from your clinical supervisor and their team, additional classroom and simulation teaching is also available. A programme of teaching is updated regularly and you can also request specific topic teaching with the Undergraduate team.
Education Centre and Library Facilities
Keyll Darree, our Education Centre, is just a minute’s walk from the hospital main entrance and includes a well-stocked and equipped library with free Wifi, and access to email and internet facilities for all students. The library is accessible 24/7 with a security proximity card and is staffed during core hours by a friendly team of library assistants who are always willing to help.
You can also find links to external sources, study skills information and updates on the Keyll Darree Library and Information Services page.
You can also search, renew and reserve books using Keyll Darree Library's online catalogue.
In 2015, an adjoining specialist Medical Education and Clinical Skills Centre was built onto Keyll Darree, with the help of charitable donations. This centre affords Medical staff a dedicated space to learn and practice their skills, including patient simulation thanks to the centre’s dedicated and extensively equipped simulation suite.
- Our current accommodation for Medical Undergraduate students is onsite at Noble’s Hospital. Accommodation can be provided with your placement at a rate of £100 per week.Facilities include a communal kitchen and living area and individual single bedrooms with en-suite bathroom and shower. All bedding, home living comforts, kitchen equipment and utensils are provided. Use of the laundry machines are free of charge too. Students are welcome to arrange their own accommodation should they prefer in conjunction with their confirmed placement.
- Noble’s Hospital staff restaurant is subsidised and open daily from 8am - 7:30pm
- Coffee room with vending facilities and microwave is adjacent to restaurant and open 24 hours a day
- Coffee shop in atrium foyer is open during office hours – and serves great cakes!
- There is a cash machine in the atrium of the foyer.
Relaxation and Fun!
The Island has a wealth of clubs, societies, sporting activities, cultural events and entertainment.
When you’re not on placement, you can enjoy many of activities, events, entertainment and scenery the island has to offer.
Some useful links can be found below:
If you have any further questions please don't hesitate in contacting:
Education and Training Centre
Isle of Man
+44 1624 650929