There are a number of databases that are available. Some are password protected and you will need to contact library staff to find out if you are eligible to obtain one. The databases provide references together with abstracts if one is available. Sometimes full text is available.
Isle of Man
+44 01624 642993 / +44 1624 642974
- AMED (Allied and Complementary Medicine ) - Allied and Complementary Medicine is a unique database covering the fields of complementary or alternative medicine. (Athens password required).
What is it? BASE is one of the world's most voluminous search engines especially for academic open access web resources from over 2,000 sources.
Key features: Allows you to search intellectually selected resources and their bibliographic data, including those from the so-called ‘deep web’, which are ignored by commercial search engines. There are several options for sorting the results list and you can browse by Dewey Decimal Classification and document type.
BioMED Central is an independent publishing house committed to providing immediate open access to peer-reviewed biological and medical research.
BNI (British Nursing Index) - is a UK nursing and midwifery database, covering over 270 UK journals and other English language titles. This link will take you to 'My Athens' log in page. Log in with your NHS Athens username and password. For further step by step instructions for accessing this resource click on the 'Library Guides' tab and choose the appropriate guide.
- CINAHL database is a comprehensive and authoritative source of information for nurses, allied health professionals, and others interested in health care. CINAHL covers all aspects of nursing and allied health disciplines. (Athens password required).
- Cochrane Library is an electronic publication designed to supply high quality evidence to inform people providing and receiving care, and those responsible for research, teaching, funding and administration at all levels. Free access.
What is it? An experimental service, allowing keyword and semantic search of over 10 million open access articles.
Key feature: If you find an article you like, CORE will find similar ones by analysing the text of that article.
- Department of Health provides strategic leadership for public health.
- EMBASE provides current and comprehensive information on drugs and pharmacology, and all other aspects of human medicine and related disciplines. (Athens password required).
- HMIC Health Management Information Consortium - compilation of data from two sources, the Department of Health's Library and Information Service and the King's Fund Information and Library Service. Coverage includes, official publications, journal articles and grey literature. Topics include, health service policy, management and administration and lots more. (Athens password required).
- Medical Masterclass Learning materials for the MRCP (UK) examinations. Please contact a member of staff for access details, contacts above.
- MEDLINE - is a vast source of medical information, covering the whole field of medicine including dentistry, veterinary medicine and medical psychology. (Athens password required).
- NHS Evidence - NHS Evidence is a resource that provides access to authoritative health and social care evidence and best practice through a web-based portal. It is manages by the the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE).
- OT Seeker is a database that contains abstracts of systematic reviews and randomised controlled trials relevant to occupational therapy.
- Oxford Online - Provides access to some of Oxford University Press' prestigious medical publishing texts with Athens access.
- PEDro is a free database of over 19,000 randomised trials, systematic reviews and clinical practice guidelines in physiotherapy
- PROQUEST - Search over 1500 full text journals online. (Athens password required).
- PsycINFO - covers psychological practice and research as well as the related clinical, social and biological disciplines. (Athens password required).
- PUBMED is a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine that includes over 16 million citations from MEDLINE and other life science journals for biomedical articles back to the 1950s. Access free.
- RefWorks - A database for managing your references. For access details, please contact a member of staff, contact details above.
- Social Care Institute for Excellence (SCIE) Is a leading improvement support agency and independent charity, working with the care and support sector in the UK and provides a range of information and research on all aspects of social care and social work.
- Turning Research Into Practice (TRIP) One of the Internet's leading medical resources. The TRIP Database allows users to rapidly and easily identify high quality medical literature from a wide range of sources.
- UpToDate is a database that helps clinicians provide the best patient care. It uses current evidence to answer clinical questions quickly and easily at the point of care. To access please contact a member of staff, details above.
- WHO - Full text of WHO publications and documents is available free from WHOLIS, the WHO Library web database. WHOLIS indexes all WHO publications from 1948 onwards and articles from WHO-produced journals and technical documents from 1985.