Covid-19 Coronavirus

Adult protection

Adult Protection Team

Telephone:+44 1624 685969

Email:Send Email

If you suspect abuse

You may have concerns about a friend, relative or neighbour and suspect they may be being abused. If you are concerned then you must report your concern in the following way:

Report the matter to the Adult Protection Team, telephone: +44 1624 685969.

If you have an emergency after office hoursand need to contact a social worker urgently:

  • in case of an adult ring Noble's Hospital and ask for the on call social worker for adults, telephone: +44 1624 650000
  • in the case of a child ring Douglas Police Station, telephone: +44 1624 631212

The switchboard in these areas will help you to contact the social worker who is on duty at that time.

Remember all types of abuse have to be stopped.

If you think a crime has been committed then you must report it to the Police. We will investigate the situation whenever possible to protect the individual at risk.

Definitions of abuse

Abuse may consist of a single act or repeated acts. It may be physical, verbal or psychological, it may be an act of neglect or an omission to act, or it may occur when a vulnerable person is persuaded to enter into a financial or sexual transaction, to which he or she has not consented or cannot consent. Abuse can occur in any relationship and may result in significant harm to, or exploitation of, the person subjected to it. ('No Secrets' – DOH 2000)

Vulnerable person or adult

Any person aged 18 or over who is, or may be, eligible for social care services by reason of mental or other disability, age or illness or who is unable to take care of themselves or protect themselves against harm.

(Ref: Lord Chancellor’s Department (1977) 'Who Decides' London: The Stationery Office)

Significant harm – Not only ill treatment (including sexual abuse and forms of ill treatment which are not physical), but also the impairment of, or an avoidable deterioration in, physical or mental health and the impairment of physical, intellectual, emotional, social or behavioural development.

(Ref: Lord Chancellor’s Department – 1977 'Who Decides')

Types of abuse

Physical abuse - can include - hitting, slapping, pushing, kicking, misuse of medication, restraint.

Sexual abuse - Can include - rape and sexual assault or sexual acts to which the vulnerable adult has not consented, or could not consent, or was pressurised into consenting.

Psychological abuse - Can include: emotional abuse, bullying, isolation, humiliation, blaming, controlling, intimidation, coercion, harassment, threats of any nature.

Financial or material abuse – Including - theft, fraud, exploitation, pressure in connection with wills, property or inheritance or financial transactions, or the misuse or misappropriation of property, possessions or benefits.

Neglect and acts of omission - Can include - ignoring medical or physical care needs, failure to provide access to appropriate health, social care or educational services, the withholding of essentials such as food and drink, appropriate heating.

Discriminatory abuse – Can include - any form of harassment including racism, sexism, ageism or other subject based on a person’s race, sex, age, disability or appearance.

Institutional abuse - Can occur when the needs of the establishment take priority over the individual needs of the people within it. However, any of the previous 6 categories can take place within an institution.

Back to top