Covid-19 Coronavirus

OFT Licensing and Registration

Some business activities cannot be commenced until the trader and/or his premises have been audited by the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) to ensure they meet certain basic criteria. 

Businesses may have to apply for licences or registrations.

Businesses requiring registration or licensing by the OFT include:

  • Architect
  • Chapmen
  • Moneylender
  • Non-resident trader
  • Estate agent

The trading of certain materials requiring a licence: 

  • Fireworks
  • Petrol
  • Video

Note: The sale of petrol, fireworks and the sale or hire of videos are subject to age restrictions.

Age restricted goods

Most consumer laws control the quality and safety of goods and services supplied to the public but some also restrict the sale of goods to certain people.

Button _OFT_typesoflicences Button _OFT_agerestrictedgoods Button _OFT_Copyrights

Office of Fair Trading

Thie Slieau Whallian

Foxdale Road

St John’s


Telephone:+44 1624 686500


Email:Send Email

Back to top