uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Food business registration

If you are planning to open a food business in the Island you must register it with the Department of Environment, Food and Agriculture. It is against the law not to. Registration is not the same as licensing and a registered business does not automatically have the right to trade. There is no charge to register premises and registration does not need to be renewed every year. If you use premises in more than one area, you must register each premises separately.

Types of food businesses

Any business which prepares, sells or handles food must register with the department. This includes:

  • food shops, including farm shops
  • restaurants, cafes, snack bars, takeaways, caterers
  • staff restaurants, canteens, kitchens
  • food manufacturers, processors, packers
  • hospitals, residential homes, schools
  • hotels, pubs, guest houses
  • a private house used as a food business
  • food distributors, warehouses, wholesalers, importers, cash and carry's

When to register

You must register your business at least 28 days before it is due to open. You must also register any changes you make to the details of the business at a later date.

How do I register?

Registration is very simple and the registration form should only take a few minutes to complete. Food Business Registration Forms can be downloaded on this page.

You must:

  • tick all the boxes which apply to your business
  • answer all the questions
  • give all the information requested
  • return the completed registration form to the Department

It is an offence to give information which you know to be false. You must advise the department if:

  • there is any change of owner of the food business
  • any change in the type of the business

Apply now

Did you find what you were looking for?
Back to top