You may be entitled to ask for a review where the Isle of Man CAA has made a decision or issued a proposal with regard to the following:
- Registration of aircraft.
- Certificate of operators of aircraft.
- Certificate of airworthiness of aircraft.
- Noise certificate.
- Certificate of compliance with the requirements for the emission by aircraft engines of unburned hydrocarbons.
- Personnel licensing.
- Licensing of aerodromes.
- Validation of any approval, certificate, licence, rating or qualification.
The appeals process is specified in the Civil Aviation (Procedure) Regulations 1991 as modified applied to the Isle of Man. The guidance notes herein provide a simplified overview of this legislation.
Isle of Man CAA Decisions and Proposals
If an applicant is notified by the Isle of Man CAA:
- of a decision that it would be inexpedient in the public interest for an aircraft to be registered in the Isle of Man; or,
- that an application for the grant, validation or variation of a certificate, licence, approval, authorisation or rating is refused or granted in terms other than those requested by the applicant;
- of a proposal to cancel the registration of an aircraft;
- of a proposal to revoke, suspend or vary a certificate, licence, approval, authorisation, validation or rating;
- the failure of a test or examination which he is required to pass before being granted or exercising the privileges of a personnel licence;
the applicant may, within 14 days of the decision or proposal being notified:
- request that the decision be reviewed by the Isle of Man CAA; or,
- provide to the Isle of Man CAA representations regarding the proposal; or,
- request that the Isle of Man CAA determine whether the test or examination was properly conducted.
To initiate an appeal, simply write or email the Isle of Man CAA official who has sent you the decision, proposal or test/examination result, clearly stating that you wish the matter to be reviewed.
An Isle of Man CAA member of staff who is independent from the original proposal, decision making or test/examination will then be appointed to manage the review and will be able to answer any queries about the process.
The final decision of the Isle of Man CAA will only be made after the completion of the review. The applicant will be informed of the outcome, reasons for the decision and a copy of the final report.
Please note that regardless of the request for a review, the Isle of Man CAA may provisionally cancel the aircraft registration, or provisionally suspend or vary any certificate, licence, approval, authorisation, validation, or rating.