Central Douglas Master plan
This Master plan provides a general framework for the development of Central Douglas. It has been prepared in response to calls for a coordinated, strategic vision for the future of Douglas, to help shape investment and economic development.
The Retail Sector Strategy made a strong case for a Master plan for Central Douglas in recognition that as the Island's Capital and main employment and residential area, the success of Douglas is critical to the Island's economic future.
The focus of the Master plan is to:
- Provide a framework to support decision makers in realising the most beneficial future for the town;
- Build on previous work and on-going regeneration activities;
- Identify potential proposals and delivery options to help support investment;
- Maximise current opportunities presented by vacant sites within the Central Douglas Area;
- Provide an overall strategy for the future of the town centre; and
- Inform investment in the short, medium and long term.
The Master plan is not a statutory document. However the format of its preparation will allow:
- It to be a material consideration in planning applications/appeals under the provisions of Part 2, Paragraph 10 (4)(d) of the Town and Country Planning Act and;
- The Evidence Base and Project Proposals to be reviewed for inclusion in the Area Plan for the East.
Both Tynwald and Douglas Borough Council have approved the final version of the Master plan which is available for you to download.