Apply for a Licence for Kennels, Catteries and Homestay
You can now apply online for your Animal Boarding Establishment Licence.
A Veterinary Officer will arrange to visit and inspect the premises. Following a satisfactory inspection, the current year Licence will be issued together with a covering letter from the Inspecting Officer.
Schedule of conditions for boarding establishments
- Accommodation provided for animals must be in all respects suitable as regards construction, size of quarters, exercising facilities, temperature, ventilation and cleanliness.
- Natural and artificial lighting of individual compartments should be sufficient to allow the proper working and cleaning of the compartments with no dark areas.
- The flooring in all cages or kennels must be constructed of an impervious material, the surface of which is adequately maintained and readily cleanable.
- In addition to the floor constructed of impervious material, adequately maintained and readily cleanable referred to in (3) above, all kennels must have an impervious, adequately maintained, readily cleanable surface to all walls, partitions and passageways, including those between kennels and cages, of a height not less than 3 feet.
- The kennel should be of sufficient size for the dog to stand up and turn round comfortably and should open on to an exercise area.
- Cat accommodation must have an adequate bed area, and adequate dirt box, not less than 8 square feet of exercise area per animal and a height of not less than 1 foot 10 inches. Floors must be constructed of impervious material, adequately maintained and readily cleanable. The surface of all walls and partitions including those between cages and runs, must be impervious, adequately maintained and readily cleanable.
- All excreta and soiled material should be removed at least twice daily and more often if necessary from all living compartments and at least once daily from exercise areas. The floor of living compartments must be kept clean and dry.
- All small runs must be paved or surfaced in such a way as to allow adequate cleansing and disinfection. Grass runs are only allowed in paddocks large enough to prevent the ground from becoming unduly fouled or trodden and the entrance and inside perimeter should be paved or surfaced with hard-core or other suitable material.
- All animals accommodated at the premises must be provided with suitable bedding material and must be given adequate exercise. It is recommended that some form of sleeping bench is provided.
- Facilities should be provided for the collection of all used bedding and other waste material which should be disposed of in a manner approved by the Local Authority.
- All animals boarded must have wholesome drinking water available at all times in their pens.
- Animals shall be adequately supplied with suitable food and visited at suitable intervals.
- A kitchen must be provided for preparing animals’ food, must be kept clean and vermin-free at all times. Refrigeration facilities must be provided where fresh meat is used.
- All bulk supplies of food must be kept in rat-proof containers.
- Every precaution must be taken to eliminate flies throughout the kennel.
- All reasonable precautions must be taken to prevent and control the spread among animals of infectious or contagious diseases, including the provision of adequate isolation facilities.
- Complete cleansing and disinfection of any kennel or cage and furniture must be carried out when vacated and before any other animal is admitted to that kennel or cage.
- All heating appliances must be of such construction as to constitute no risk of fire.
- Animals and equipment shall not be placed or kept in such a position as to render ingress or egress difficult in case of fire or other emergency.
- The licensee shall ensure that a responsible person shall at all times be in, or within, reasonable distance from the premises for the purpose of giving warning and taking other necessary steps in the event of fire or other emergency. In the case of premises which are lock-up, outside business hours, the licensee shall appoint a responsible person residing within a reasonable distance of the premises to have custody of the key. The name and address of such person shall be displayed in legible characters on the front door, or windows of the premises and be notified to the local fire brigade. An adequate and accessible supply of water and sand and/or an efficient fire extinguisher must always be available on the premises, outside the kennels, and the positions clearly marked.
- A register must be kept containing a description of any animals received into the establishment, date of arrival and departure and name and address of owner, together with a communicable address through which the owner may be contacted in case of emergency.
- Washing/lavatory facilities must be available for staff.
- Before any new kennels or catteries are constructed (including exercising areas) all proposals of such works must be submitted to and approved by the Department of Environment, Food and Agriculture, irrespective of any planning or building regulations necessary.
- A copy of these conditions is to be suitably displayed in a prominent position in the boarding establishment.
For further information please contact:
Thie Slieau Whallian
+44 1624 685844