Covid-19 Coronavirus

Livestock transport regulations

Transporter authorisations

Any person transporting any live vertebrate animals inside the United Kingdom and the Isle of Man on journeys of over 65 kilometres (approx. 40 miles) as part of an economic activity must hold a valid Authorisation to do so. This is a requirement of EC Regulation 1/2005 which has been retained and is implemented under Manx law. There are 2 types of Authorisation:

  • A short journey Authorisation (Type 1) for journeys over 65km and up to and including 8 hours duration.
  • A long journey Authorisation (Type 2) which covers both long and short journeys.

Animal Health are able to provide transporter authorisation certificates.

To find out if you require a certificate, please answer the following 2 questions:

1. Do you transport animals over 65km in connection with an economic activity?

    • YES - apply to DEFA for an authorisation certificate (Type 1 application form available to download on this page)
    • NO - you do not require authorisation

2. Do you transport animals over 8 hours involving sea or air transport?

    • YES - you need to apply for a type 2 'long journey' transporter authorisation. [Please note: there are specific requirements for vehicles if you are undertaking 'long journeys' - please see 'vehicle specifications' at the bottom of this page].
    • NO - you need to apply for a type 1 'short journey' transporter authorisation.

The Authorisation will last for 5 years unless revoked or suspended, or it may have conditions imposed upon it anytime within this period if there are infringements of any requirement of the Regulation or the relevant Welfare of Animals (Transport) Order.

Downloadable guidance notes for the Transporter Authorisations can be found on this page; as can the application forms.

Certificate of Competence and Online Assessment

Those transporting cattle, sheep, goats, pigs, horses and poultry by road on journeys over 65km in connection with an economic activity must be independently assessed in their competence. Those assessed as competent will receive a 'Certificate of Competence'. The Certificate will be specific to the role the transporter or attendant; the length of journey undertaken and the species to be transported.

If you have previously been issued with a Type 1 authorisation, this will continue to be valid provided the driver or attendant hold relevant certificates of competency.

Online assessments were held originally in 2008. If you passed this assessment at this time then your renewal will be automatic, upon application.

If you are applying for a Transporter Authorisation for the first time or wish to add a competency on to your existing Authorisation e.g. you have sheep and cattle and wish to add horses, then you are required to sit the online assessment for the additional competency.

For further details of how to enrol for the online assessment, please contact:

The Exams Office

University College Isle of Man

Homefield Road


Isle of Man


Telephone:+44 624 648200

Email:Send Email

Equine exemptions

Definition of 'registered horses'.

'Registered equidae' means any equidae registered as defined in Directive 90/427/EEC (4), identified by means of an identification document issued by the breeding authority or any other competent authority of the country where the animal originated which manages the studbook or register for that breed of animal or any international association or organization which manages horses for competition or racing;

Registered horses are those registered, for the purposes of EU zootechnics legislation, with a recognised breed societyor companies like the British Horse Database at Wetherbys.

A registered horse does not mean one with a horse passport.

In addition (because the exemption is not restrictive), a horse which travels under a passport issued by the Fédération Equestre Internationale or the International Equestrian Federation, should be considered to be registered for the purposes of the Regulation, as should horses transported for the purposes of competition, such as show-jumpers, eventers, polo ponies etc.

The latter categories will require proof of their 'registered' status (with the appropriate organising Society or Club, such as a Polo or Pony Club, the British Show Jumping Association or the British Endurance Riding Society) to accompany the animals during transport, and to be made available to an inspector on demand.

The Department of Environment, Food and Agriculture is committed to ensuring that its services are accessible to all. If you require these documents in an alternative format and / or language please contact us to discuss your needs.

Back to top