Agricultural Development Scheme
The Agricultural Development Scheme (formerly the Countryside Care Scheme) forms one of the components of the Policy for Manx Agriculture which was approved by Tynwald in April 2008. The Scheme was approved by Tynwald in December 2008 and implemented from 1 April 2009.
Details of the full Scheme plus its associated government circulars can be found by clicking on Legislative Background on this site.
Eligibility Criteria for 2016 onwards
- from 1 April 2016, an applicant must be an active farmer;
- an applicant must have at their disposal, on 4 May in each Scheme year, the eligible land which is subject to the claim;
- all land in the Isle of Man at the applicant’s disposal on the 4 May in each Scheme year must be declared by means of a valid application; regardless of the eligibility of such land;
- an applicant under the Scheme must make a valid application to the Scheme in such form and timescale as the Department may require;
- the land must consist of at least the minimum area of 12.5 eligible acres; and
- the Department is satisfied on reasonable grounds that the land which is the subject of the claim is not materially altered from that indicated in the aerial survey.
The ‘flat rate’ payment rate has now been defined which has allowed the creation of a budget which will facilitate the implementation of the Food Strategy.
The Scheme will also introduce a system which redistributes payments (“front-loading”) providing enhanced payments for smaller or more intensive farms.
Young Farmers will also receive a Supplementary Payment of up to an additional 25% (up to a maximum of £4,000) for a maximum period of 5 consecutive years.
If you wish to register for the 2023/24 Scheme, please notify us by phone, letter or email by Friday 24 February 2023. If notification is received after this date, it may not be possible for us to carry out the required due diligence checks to enable the first payment under the Scheme to be made in the July window.
To apply to be a new claimant to the ADS you need to complete an Agriculture Business Registration Form and return it to us. You can use the link to complete the form and send it to us by email or by post or you can contact us and we will post out a copy to you.
If we have received a completed Agriculture Business Registration Form from you before the Friday 24 deadline, a New Entrant Application Form will be sent in the post to you.
For further information on the Agriculture Development Scheme, please contact us:
Thie Slieau Whallian
+44 1624 695742
The Department of Environment, Food and Agriculture is committed to ensuring that its services are accessible to all. If you require this document in an alternative format and / or language please contact us to discuss your needs.