uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Redundancy Payment from Social Security

What is it?

A payment from Social Security to a qualifying employee whose employer has either refused or failed to pay them their full statutory redundancy payment entitlement.

Basic qualifying conditions

To be entitled to a redundancy payment from Social Security-

  • your job must have ended on account of redundancy; and
  • you must have had at least two years’ continuous employment with your employer at the date your employment ends (this date will normally be the end of your notice period); and
  • you must have made all reasonable efforts (other than legal proceedings) to obtain a redundancy payment from your employer; and
  • your employer has refused or failed to pay all or any part of the redundancy payment due to you; and
  • you must be below the normal contractual retirement for your employment,  or be less than 65 years of age, whichever is the earliest.

If you are not entitled to a redundancy payment from your employer you will not be entitled to a redundancy payment from Social Security. More information about who is - and who is not - entitled to a redundancy payment from their employer is available from the Manx Industrial Relations Service (MIRS) at Or you can contact MIRS by phoning 672942 or by email to

How and when to claim

You must make a claim on form IP1 as soon as it becomes clear that your employer cannot or will not pay you your full redundancy payment entitlement. When completed send the form to -

Redundancy/Insolvency Payments Team
Social Security Division
Markwell House
Market Street
IM1 2RZ 

Telephone:+44 1624 685103
Email: Send Email to


Payment is made by cheque, which you can cash at a Post Office or pay into your bank or building society account.

Other payments

If you employer has also refused or failed to pay you wages or holiday pay you are owed, or has failed to pay you for the whole or any part of your statutory notice period, you may be entitled to other payments from Social Security. See Insolvency and cessation of business payments page.

Did you find what you were looking for?
Back to top