uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Employment / Work Related

Income Support

Income Support (IS) is an income-related benefit for certain categories of people who are not working or who work for less than 16 hours per week and do not have enough money to live on. Income Support is designed primarily to ensure, that people aged 16 or over (and their families) have enough money to meet their basic living costs when their own income fails to do so.

Jobseeker's Allowance

Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) is a benefit for people who are unemployed, who are available to take up full-time work immediately and who are actively seeking work.

It is a single allowance with 2 routes of entitlement:

  • Contribution based JSA – JSA(Cont)
  • Income based JSA – JSA(IB)

TV Licence

You need a TV Licence if you are watching or recording any TV programme.

Certain groups of people can get help with meeting the cost of their TV licence. Who can get help, how much they can get and how to get it is explained below.

There are special arrangements for people who live in sheltered housing or in a care home.

If you have any questions regarding you TV licence please call the Income Support (Pensioners) Unit on +44 1624 687020 or email or ask at a Social Security office or any Post Office.

Back to top