Covid-19 Coronavirus

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

Incapacity Benefits Team

Social Security Division

Markwell House

Market Street



Telephone:+44 1624 685656 (option 1)

Email:Send Email

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB) is payable to a person who has suffered a loss of faculty because of an accident at work, or a disease caused by their work which is on our prescribed list.

Basic qualifying conditions

You must have been employed at the time of the accident by an employer who paid you wages or a salary. The injury must be the result of an accident which happened after 4 July 2018 in:

  • The Isle of Man
  • The United Kingdom
  • A country with a reciprocal agreement covering industrial injuries
  • Anywhere abroad if payment of class 1 or special class 2 NI contributions for volunteer development workers is being made

A medical officer assesses the percentage of disablement and how long it is expected to last. You must be assessed as having a disability over 14% to be entitled.

You must be ordinarily resident in the Island and physically present on the Island at the time of your claim.

You cannot claim IIDB because of accidents suffered or diseases contracted while you were self-employed, or a member of HM Forces.

Applying for benefit

Ask us for a claim form, complete it and send it back to us. You can claim at any time after being disabled by an accident or after the onset of the disease.

If your accident happened or your disease began outside the Isle of Man, you may still be entitled to IIDB because some countries, including the United Kingdom, have Reciprocal Agreements with the Island.


We can pay you directly into your bank or building society account every 4 weeks.

If we pay you IIDB it may affect your entitlement to other benefits. It can be paid in addition to a War Disablement Pension, although it may affect the amount payable. Contact Veteran’s Welfare for advice. 

Back to top