Funeral Payments for People who Died Before 1 April 2018
Douglas IM1 2RZ
+44 1624 685679 or +44 1624 685458
A Funeral Payment is a lump sum payment to assist a person responsible for funeral expenses for people who died on or before 31 March 2018.
Basic qualifying conditions
A Funeral Payment is payable if:
The death has occurred, or is treated as having occurred, on the Island and the deceased was, at the date of death:
- Ordinarily resident on the Island, or
- Absent from the Island being abroad as a serving member of the armed forces or living abroad with a member of the armed forces and was the spouse, civil partner, son, daughter, father or mother of that person and the funeral takes place on the Island
The claimant is aged 16 or over and is:
- The personal representative of the deceased
- A person who has paid the deceased’s funeral expenses
- A person who has taken responsibility for payment of the deceased’s funeral expenses, or
- A person entitled under Will or on the intestacy (as the case may be) of the deceased
How and when should I apply
Please complete and return form SF1/BP20 – Claim for Funeral Payment and/or arrears of benefit and take or send it to a Social Security office. You must claim within 12 months of the date of death or you will not be entitled to a Funeral Payment or arrears of benefit.