Covid-19 Coronavirus

Changes in Circumstances

You must tell us as soon as possible if your circumstances change so that you keep getting the right amount of benefits.

If you do not report a change straight away or you give incorrect information then your claim might be stopped or you could lose money that you otherwise would have been entitled to.

If you do not report a change, you may be overpaid. If you are, you will have to pay the money back.

If you deliberately do not report changes, you are committing benefit fraud.

Changes you need to report

When you are first awarded benefit your award letter for each benefit you get tells you specific changes of circumstances that you must tell us about. If you are unsure whether the change affects your entitlement, please tell the relevant benefit team(s) anyway.

These are the types of changes you need to tell us about:

  • you change your name (by deed poll) or your gender

  • you or your partner are about to start work

  • you or your partner have done any work (even if it is part-time or unpaid)

  • you (or your partner or child) get a new income or there is a change in any income you already have (this includes other Social Security Benefits and pensions)

  • there is a change in the income of an independent person living in your house (for example, if a grown-up son or daughter starts work)

  • you (or your partner or child) start or stop a course of full time education, training or an apprenticeship

  • you change address or there is a change in your rent, mortgage interest or rates at your present address

  • someone living in your house leaves or someone moves into your house (for example, your partner, a child or lodger)

  • the death of your partner or someone you live with

  • you (or your partner) give birth to a child

  • you start or stop caring for someone

  • getting married or divorced

  • a civil partnership starts or ends

  • You (or your partner or child) leave the Island (even if only for a holiday)

  • going into hospital, a care home or sheltered accommodation

  • You (or your partner or child) go to prison

  • Your (or your partner’s or child’s) medical condition or disability changes

  • There is a change in the amount of your savings, investments or property (including those of your partner or child)

  • You start to pay or cease to pay child care charges in connection with a course of education

How to report changes

Please complete the relevant form(s) listed below which are available via downloadable documents on this page.

ACT1 – Payment of Benefits and Pensions into an Account - Please complete this form when changing payment details.

A10 – Income-related Benefits - Change of Address - Please complete this form if your address has changed and you get employed person’s allowance, income-based jobseeker’s allowance or income support.

BP9 – Change of Circumstances - Please complete this form for all other changes of circumstances (including your change of address if you are not getting employed person’s allowance, income-based jobseeker’s allowance or income support).

Back to top