The Financial Intelligence Unit is a data controller for the purposes of the Data Protection Act 2002/General Data Protection Regulation (Isle of Man) Order 2018.
The contact details for the Financial Intelligence Unit are:
PO Box 51,
In addition to the information set out in the Isle of Man Privacy Notice, we may also collect the following information about you:
- your name
- name of your organisation
- organisation type
- business address
- business email address
- business phone number
- organisation you work for
- position you hold in that organisation
The Data Protection Officer for the Financial Intelligence Unit is Mr Nicola Vendemia and he can be contacted by email at DPO-FIU@gov.im.
How we will use the information we collect about you
The Financial Intelligence Unit will use your information to:
- register you to report suspicious activity via the online reporting system Themis
- help prevent and detect crime - The Financial Intelligence Unit is a competent authority for the purposes of the Law Enforcement Directive and processes data on that basis
The Financial Intelligence Unit has a statutory function to receive, gather, analyse, store and share information about financial crime. In some cases, where it is necessary and relevant, theinformation you provide (as identified above), may be disclosed or shared with other organisations.
This will only be done where there we consider it is necessary and relevant for us to do so in accordance with our functions.
How we will share the information we collect about you
Third parties we may share your data with include, for example:
- local law enforcement agencies
- external law enforcement agencies or external Financial Intelligence Units (who are part of the Egmont Group of Intelligence Units)
- regulators (the Isle of Man Financial Services Authority and Gambling Supervision Commission) and off Island regulators
Information obtained by the Financial Intelligence Unit is shared under Section 23 of the Financial Intelligence Unit Act 2016 (the Act). It is an offence under section 26 of the Act for anyone in receipt of information from the Financial Intelligence Unit under section 23 of the Act to further disclose the information save in accordance with Section 25, which requires the written consent of the Financial Intelligence Unit. A person guilty of an offence under Section 26 of the Act is liable on summary conviction to custody for a term not exceeding 2 years and to a fine not exceeding £10,000 or to both.
Protecting your information
The Financial Intelligence Unit will:
- keep your information safe and secure in compliance with its information security policy
- only use and disclose your information as detailed above, where necessary
- retain the information for no longer than is necessary. Your information will be permanently deleted once the timeframes set out below have been reached
Transfer of Information outside the EEA
The Financial Intelligence Unit shares information with jurisdictions outside the EEA. The information is shared with strict handling conditions regarding how the recipient can use that information.
You can find out more information including:
- contacting our Data Protection Officer who is Kirsty Knight
- asking to see your information or making a complaint if you feel that your information is not being handled properly - this only applies to information held by the Financial Intelligence Unit under the GDPR - However, the Financial Intelligence Unit will review your request and may determine that exemptions apply in relation to the Law Enforcement Directive
- making a subject access request which is a request for all of the personal data we hold about you, however, the Financial Intelligence Unit will review your request and may determine that exemptions apply in relation to the Law Enforcement Directive
- obtaining this information in large print, braille, or in an alternative language
You have a right to access your personal data to ensure that it is accurate and to request that it is rectified, blocked, erased or destroyed if it is inaccurate.
To make any request relating to your data held by us, please contact the Data Protection Officer for the Financial Intelligence Unit who is: Kirsty Knight and can be contacted by calling +44 1624 686000.
If you are not satisfied with the response you receive, you may also complain to the Information Commissioner, whose details can be found on www.inforights.im, or the relevant supervisory authority. You may have a right to other remedies.
Financial Intelligence Unit Retention Periods
|Document type||Retention period|
|Themis Online Registration Forms||3 years from resignation|
Your personal data may be permanently retained for research use at the Isle of Man Public Record Office if the records containing your personal data are selected for permanent preservation under the Public Records Act 1999. The Isle of Man Public Record Office preserves records of Isle of Man public authorities that are of long-term historic and cultural value.
Access to and use of records at the Isle of Man Public Record Office is governed by legislation, in particular the Public Records Act 1999, the Public Records Order 2015 and the Freedom of Information Act 2015.
Some records are made available to the public for research use, whilst others are covered by access restrictions to ensure sensitive information that should be confidential for a period of time is protected. Where your personal data is included in records transferred to the Record Office, an assessment will be made of whether the records should be covered by an access restriction based on this legislation. Access restrictions will be applied to records as appropriate under this legislation to prevent unlawful access to your personal data. Your personal data will not be used by the Isle of Man Public Record Office for any automated decision making.
The Isle of Man Public Record Office is part of the Department for Enterprise and can be contacted at: email@example.com, or
Unit 40A Spring Valley Industrial Estate,
Isle of Man,
The Department for Enterprise Data Protection Officer can be contacted by e-mail at: DPO-DfE@gov.im