International Development Committee
Co-ordinated appeal to help Syrian refugees
The Isle of Man Government's International Development Committee, the One World Centre and Isle of Man registered charities that are members of the UK's Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC) are working together to ensure that fundraising on the Island contributes to established and ongoing relief efforts. For further information please read the news release.
The International Development Committee of the Council of Ministers is the Isle of Man Government body responsible for funding aid projects in the world's less developed countries and for providing donations to international emergency/disaster appeals.
The overall purpose of the Committee is to implement the Council of Ministers’ Policy on international development by ensuring -
- That aid is targeted effectively
- That appropriate mechanisms are in place for granting aid, in accordance with best practice elsewhere
- That the Island’s voluntary sector is properly engaged in the process
- That the people of the Isle of Man continue to be encouraged to support the alleviation of world poverty
Projects or programmes supported by the Committee must seek to address the Millennium Development Goals which are the international targets agreed during the UN Millennium Summit in September 2000. These goals, which are to be achieved by 2015, provide a blueprint for combating poverty, hunger, disease, illiteracy, environmental degradation and discrimination against women.
- Goal 1: Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
- Goal 2: Achieve universal primary education
- Goal 3: Promote gender equality and empower women
- Goal 4: Reduce child mortality
- Goal 5: Improve maternal health
- Goal 6: Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- Goal 7: Ensure environmental sustainability
- Goal 8: Develop a global partnership for development
In addition, priority, but not exclusivity, is given to projects or programmes in countries classified as ‘Low Development’ on the United Nations Human Development Index. For further details on the funding streams available and how to apply please click on the funding link.
Keira Knightley praises Isle of Man International Development Committee
Actess Keira Knightley, in her capacity as a UK supporter of Unicef, has praised the Isle of Man International Development Committee and the generosity of the Manx public in providing funding for the charity's vital work in West Africa.
Watch Keira's video message of thanks to the Isle of Man people here
If you have any further queries please contact IDC Secretariat at the following address:
Isle of Man
+44 1624 686066
+44 1624 685710