Overview of the Civil Division
The Civil Division is headed by the Director of Civil Law, Elizabeth Smith.
The Civil Division provides advice and assistance to all of the Departments, Boards and Offices which form the Isle of Man Government.
The advice and assistance available covers all areas of government business which is not the drafting of primary or secondary legislation, the prosecution of criminal offences or international matters.
Please Note - The Attorney General’s Chambers is unable to assist members of the public with legal queries. Members of the public should contact the Isle of Man Law Society for information on obtaining legal advice.
Civil Division Teams
The Civil Division is divided into three teams:
The Litigation Team
The Litigation Team acts on behalf of Departments, Boards and Offices in relation to any matters before courts or tribunals. This will include:
- Petitions of doleance
- Planning appeals and enforcement
- Immigration appeals and tribunals
- Debt collection
- Contract disputes
- Tribunal matters
The Advisory Team
The Advisory Team provides advice on all areas of public law to Departments, Boards and Offices. It also undertakes child care work on behalf of the Department of Health and Social Care. In addition to providing advice and assistance to Departments, Boards and Offices, the Advisory Team also carries out the following on behalf of HM Attorney General:
- Administration of the estates of people with mental capacity issues
- Administration of estates which are bona vacantia
- Oversight of charities - For more information about the Charities Register, establishing and registering a charity or the ongoing filing requirements for a charity please refer to the Charities Registry
- Processing of applications under the Hague Convention and European Convention in relation to abducted children
The Commercial Team
The Commercial Team provides advice and assistance to Departments, Boards and Offices in relation to all commercial matters. The Commercial Team also includes the delivery of procurement services on behalf of Government. Examples of the types of work covered by the Commercial Team include: