The Legal Aid Committee ('the Committee') is a body established under Section 23 of the Legal Aid Act 1986.
Their mission statement aims to promote access to justice in a manner which is fair, equitable, transparent and professional and which uses public resources carefully and effectively.
The administrative support for the Committee, and associated financial budgets for all aspects of Legal Aid (with the exception of cost assessments and the eligibility for Criminal Legal Aid both of which functions are currently within the General Registry), are provided by the Social Security Division of the Treasury.
Following recommendations by the Legal Services Commission and a Tynwald Select Committee, the Committee was reconstituted and its remit changed in 2013 to:
- set the strategic direction and to determine policy which shapes the development of the provision of legal aid in the Isle of Man
- overview its effective delivery
- review, as necessary, the actions of the Legal Aid Certifying Officer and their deputy
Committee News Release regarding 'The update on the future of aided access to justice'.
Members of the Committee are appointed by the Appointments Commission on a voluntary basis and receive only attendance allowances. The Appointments Commission is responsible for the appointment of the Chairman and Vice Chairman.
Each member of the Committee is appointed for a period of three years from the date of appointment.
At present there are 7 members on the Committee and they are as follows:
- Andrew Swithinbank (Chairman) - Appointed 7 May 2016
- David Trace (Vice Chairman) - Appointed 1 October 2015
- Jane O'Rourke - Appointed 31 July 2015
- Margaret Mansfield - Appointed 01 March 2017
- Tony Jones - Appointed 8 January 2014
- Tony Warham - Appointed 8 January 2014
- Mr Steph Lowe - Appointed 7 May 2016
Each member of the committee have agreed with and signed a Voluntary Code of Attendance, the agreement can be viewed in the downloadable documents.
Please contact the Legal Aid office via email: firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish for further information.
Minutes for a 12 month period for the Legal Aid Committee are provided on this page.
Should you require older/archived minutes please contact the Legal Aid Office via email: email@example.com who will be happy to assit you.