Harbour Traffic Information
Isle of Man Monthly Harbours’ Traffic Summary
December 2017 and Year end 2017
2017 produced an overall increase in passengers using Isle of Man harbours of almost 3%, the best result in recent years. The positive outturn was primarily fuelled by a remarkable 15% increase in Quarter 2. December saw a marginal increase of just under 1%, helped by a marked increase in Liverpool traffic, despite reduced passengers to Heysham.
The Island's Harbours' traffic statistics for December 2017 and the year 2017 is summarised below.
December 2017 Statistics
Overall Passengers and vehicles
- In December 2017, just 168 more passengers and crews passed through Isle of Man harbours than in December 2016, a marginal 0.78% increase.
- Scheduled service passengers constituted 98.5% of passengers passing through the harbours and were up by 1.59%, whilst non-scheduled numbers decreased one third.
- Liverpool sailings were responsible for the most of the increase, but this was largely offset by a decrease between the Isle of Man and Heysham.
- Scheduled passenger vehicles numbers matched the December 2016 level.
Scheduled passengers and vehicles
- 21,401 scheduled service passengers passed through the Port in December, an increase of 334 over December 2016
- The Liverpool route saw a substantial increase of over 50%, or 1,420 to 4,208 passengers
- The Heysham route, however, declined by 1,157 or 6.5%, but still accounted for 78% of the scheduled passengers to and from the Island
- The Dublin sailing did not operate this December, instead operating to Belfast. 490 passengers were carried, compared with 419 to Dublin in December 2016
- The 7,898 scheduled passenger vehicles differed by just two vehicles from December 2016
Non-Scheduled passengers and crew
- December saw a 33.7% decrease in non-scheduled passengers with 327 passengers and crew
- This was mainly due to a halving of fishing crews, partially offset by increases in pilots and support crews
2017 Annual Traffic Statistics
- A total of 615,456 passengers used the Isle of Man harbours during 2017, 17,438, or 2.9% more than in 2016
- Seven of the twelve months experienced increases, but the increase in April was a substantial 20,000 passengers
- Q2 and Q4, saw increases, with Q2 producing a remarkable 29,000, 15% passenger increase
- Q1 and Q3 declined compared with 2016, with Q1 8,100 passengers, or 13.8%, down
- Almost 584,000 passengers passing through the IOM harbours travelled on scheduled ferry sailings, 94.9% of the total, this traffic increasing by 3.4%
- Non-scheduled crews and passengers declined by 5.1% with 31,461 using the IOM harbours
- Scheduled service passenger vehicles saw a solid increase in 2017 of 4.9%
Scheduled passengers and vehicles
- Scheduled passengers’ throughout in 2017 was up by over 19,000. April saw the largest scheduled passenger increase of 18,500, but this followed a sharp decrease in April 2016
- Liverpool traffic increased by 17,751 with Heysham falling by 2,758, giving Liverpool a lead over Heysham of almost 21,700 passengers, with 49% of the scheduled market
- Passengers on Dublin were up by 23% over 2016 at 8,877
- The Belfast route was 11.6% up, with almost 23,900 passengers.
- 186,139 scheduled passengers’ vehicles were transported to and from the Island, a 4.9% increase over 2016. The big increase was again in April with more 6,160 vehicles carried
- Non-Scheduled passengers and crew
- Commercial non-scheduled passengers were down in 2016 by 6.5% to 26,700. Marina and Non-marina numbers increased by 3.2 to 4,779.
- Cruise ship traffic declined with over 2,100 fewer visitors. The principle cause of this was the early season cancellation of the MV Balmoral sailings following a certification issue
- Fishing crews were down by 27%. The Karina saw a slight decrease of 3% with 6,640 passengers taking trips on the vessel
- Crew and passengers from all other categories of non-scheduled commercial activity saw increases, the most notable being for support vessels, up by almost 1,000 or 130%
|Scheduled Passengers||2017||2016||change||% change|
|Total Passengers for the month||21401||21067||334||1.6%|
|Cumulative for the year so far||583995||564867||19128||3.4%|
|Moving Annual total||583995||564867||19128||3.4%|
|Scheduled Passengers by Route||2017||2016||change||% change|
|Non Scheduled Passengers||2017||2016||change||% change|
|Total Marina and Non-Marina||0||4||-4||-100%|
|Commercial Vessel passengers||2017||2016||change||% change|
|Tall Ship/Super yacht||0||0||0||0.0%|
|Total commercial passengers||327||489||-162||-33.1%|
|Total Non-Scheduled passengers||327||493||-166%||-33.7%|
|Total Harbours Passengers||21728||21560||168||0.8%|
|Cumulative Total Harbours Pax||615456||598018||17438||2.9%|
|Scheduled Passenger Vehicles||7898||7900||-2||0%|