Harbour Traffic Information
Below is a summary of the Isle of Man passenger traffic statistics for the Island’s Harbours for August 2017. August is an important month for harbours’ traffic as it represents the peak month of the year and this August an overall increase of 1.1% was recorded. In summary:
- A total of 108,930 passengers used the Isle of Man Harbours in August 2017, generating an increase of 1.1%, or 1,225 more than in August 2016.
- Scheduled routes actually saw a slight decrease in traffic, but a 23% increase in non-scheduled passenger traffic pulled the total up to ensure an overall increase.
Scheduled passengers and vehicles
- Scheduled traffic decreased by 0.6%, with the routes generating just 627 fewer passengers.
- Liverpool was actually down for the month, by almost 2,500 passengers, or 4.2%.
- Heysham partly restored the balance with an increase of about 1,000 passengers or 3%.
- Belfast was solidly up on last year with a rise of 12.7%, probably as a result of fewer airline seats available to Northern Ireland from the Island, whilst Dublin saw a 6.8% increase.
- The number of scheduled passenger vehicles increased by 1.5% to 27,182.
- Non-scheduled traffic saw a very substantial 22.7% increase almost entirely due to successful initiatives to increase cruise traffic to the Island. Of note, the Norwegian 6,250 tonne MV Gann visited the Island for four days during the Festival of Motorcycling.
- In total, cruise traffic, totaled 6,174 passengers in August 2016, and was up by almost 3,500, an increase of 60%.
- Fishing crews decreased by almost 30% and the Karina also saw a fall in traffic - by 20.9% to under 2,000 passengers. However, Support and training ship crews were up substantially.
Visiting super yacht traffic totaled 100 passengers and crew arriving and departing.
Monthly Harbours traffic summary for July 2017
|Schedules Passengers||2017||2016||change||% change|
|Total Passengers for the month||98929||99556||-627||-0.6%|
|Cumulative for the year so far||442032||422330||19702||4.7%|
|Moving Annual total||584569||557406||27163||4.9%|
|Scheduled Passengers by Route||2017||2016||change||% change|
|Non Scheduled Passengers||2017||2016||change||% change|
|Total Marina and Non-Marina||1005||1176||-171||-14.5%|
|Commercial Vessel passengers||2017||2016||change||% change|
|Tall Ship/Super yacht||100||0||100||0.0%|
|Total commercial passengers||8996||6973||2023||29.0%|
|Total Non-Scheduled passengers||10001||8149||1852||22.7%|
|Total Harbours Passengers||108930||107705||1225||1.1%|
|Cumulative Total Harbours Pax||469938||451666||18272||4.0%|
|Scheduled Passenger Vehicles||27182||26786||396||1.5%|