Harbour Traffic Information
Isle of Man Monthly Harbours’ Traffic Summary
Below is a summary of the Isle of Man passenger traffic statistics for the Island’s Harbours for October 2018. The downward trend over the summer season has continued into October, with an overall decrease of 6% for the month. In summary:
- A total of 35,369 passengers used the Isle of Man Harbours in October 2018, down by 2,261 or 6.0%. Non-scheduled traffic constituted just 0.7% of the total passengers for the month, much lower than expected for October.
- The fall in cumulative total Harbours’ traffic since the beginning of the year remains at around 6.0% below the cumulative for the same period for 2017, as does the 2017/18 moving annual total comparison with 2016/17.
Scheduled passengers and vehicles
- Overall, scheduled service passengers were down by 1476 or 4%, with 35,128 passing through the Port of Douglas. Stormy weather early in the month resulted in severe disruption and cancellation of sailings as Storm Callum battered the Island.
- Liverpool passenger numbers were particularly affected, down 5.2% to 14,057.
- Heysham passengers were down by 3.2% to 21,071.
- Scheduled passengers’ vehicles also saw a decrease - of 329 vehicles or 2.9%, with 10704 vehicles arriving, and departing from the Island.
- Non-scheduled traffic took a real hit in October, down by a massive 76.5% to 241 passengers and crew, the weather again affecting activity.
- Support vessels saw the biggest fall with just 26 passengers and crews using the Island’s Harbours, down by 95.7%.
- Fishing activity was also down with a 44.8% reduction in crews and the withdrawal of the Karina again added to the severe fall.
|Scheduled Passengers||2018||2017||change||% change|
|Total Passengers for the month||56193||62450||-6257||-10%|
|Cumulative for the year so far||476644||504482||-27838||-5.5%|
|Moving Annual total||556157||583379||-27222||-4.7%|
|Scheduled Passengers by Route||2018||2017||change||% change|
|Non Scheduled Passengers||2018||2017||change||% change|
|Total Marina and Non-Marina||122||232||-110||-47.4%|
|Commercial Vessel passengers||2018||2017||change||% change|
|Tall Ship/Super yacht||0||0||0||0%|
|Total commercial passengers||1643||1670||-27||-1.6%|
|Total Non-Scheduled passengers||1765||1902||-137||-7.2%|
|Total Harbours Passengers||57958||64352||-6394||-9.9%|
|Cumulative Total Harbours Pax||502104||534290||-32186||-6%|
|Scheduled Passenger Vehicles||17281||19476||-2195||-11.3%|