Prepare your Community
Is your community prepared for a serious emergency? You may be cut off from emergency services or they may be occupied elsewhere. Each and every one of us has a part to play to ensure our community is prepared for any emergency.
A great first step to do this is to prepare yourself. Once you are prepared then you are ready to support your community. There are some very simple things that you can do to help those in your area.
How to prepare your community
- Identify vulnerable neighbours who may need support during an evacuation, such as elderly people or families with young children.
- Learn first aid as it will give you lifesaving skills and allow you to help the injured especially if emergency services can’t get to you.
- Encourage others to create emergency plans for themselves and their households.
- Use local knowledge to prepare for emergencies. For example, if your community is affected by flooding, members of your community may be aware of the areas that are most vulnerable.
- After an emergency consider the welfare of your neighbours as they may be incredibly distressed.