Volunteer at the hospital
‘Our vision is to evolve and grow a volunteer network that appeals to the diverse range of people from our Island and to build a supportive network of volunteers who will enhance the lives of our patients.'
Our volunteers complement a variety of services supporting patients and their families.
If you have a few hours a week to spare, enjoying working with people and want to support the community, then we have just the opportunity for you at Noble's Hospital.
There are a number of ways in which you can help as a volunteer.
Some of the examples of roles are listed below:
- Adopt-a-Wall Art Initiative – we continue to build on the successful art exhibitions which provide an environment that enhances the health and wellbeing of all people who use the hospital. If you have an interest in art and wish to coordinate the artwork in the hospital then we would love to hear from you.
- Befriending – volunteers befriend patients who may not have many visitors.
- Dining companions help to serve the meals and if required assist with feeding the patient on a one to one basis. As well as chatting to the patient and encouraging them to eat, they keep nursing staff informed about what the patient has eaten.
- Hear2Help: volunteers, who are expertly trained, assist with minor repairs, re-tubing and the supply of batteries for the full range of hearing aids issued on the NHS.
- Meet & Greeters are positioned in the clinic areas and at the General Enquiries desk in the main entrance of the hospital. They provide a helpful and welcoming service to all visitors, patients and staff.
- Mobile library service around the wards – this service visits the wards with books and magazines.
- Peace Garden - maintenance and assisting with the development of the garden which is used by patients, relatives and staff.
What do you need to become a volunteer?
- Ability to commit to a regular session
- Aged 18 or more
- Cheerful nature and good communication skills
- Good understanding of both written and spoken English
- No experience is necessary, just a willingness and desire to help others
- Training and support is provided
Our recruitment process
We have a robust recruitment process to ensure that our volunteers are properly recruited, selected and trained. All volunteers are subject to appropriate management and supervision.
During the recruitment process you will be required to:
- Complete an application form
- Provide the name and email of two referees who have known you for a minimum of two years
- You will need to complete a Disclosure and Barring Scheme (DBS) check. (These checks are undertaken if working with vulnerable adults or children)
- Have an informal interview
- Agree to attend induction training and mandatory training as specified for your chosen role
Prospective volunteers must complete all of the above before being offered a placement.
How does the volunteer benefit?
- The volunteer benefits from meeting new people
- An opportunity to learn new skills
- Regular shifts offer a sense of belonging and direction
- The volunteer services team have monthly meetings
- Upon occasion, they attend gatherings
Who can I talk to about volunteering opportunities at Noble’s Hospital?
Should you require more information please feel free to contact a Volunteers' Co-Ordinator on email@example.com
How to apply
Please fill-in the online form or a paper copy is available from the Volunteers' Office, Noble's Hospital Strang, Braddan, Isle of Man, IM4 4RJ.
Click the images above to view the image in a larger format.
Noble’s Hospital Strang
Isle of Man
+44 1624 650720