The Ramsey Cottage Hospital was officially opened on 23 July 1907 by the Clerk of the Rolls. The need for a northern hospital was poignantly demonstrated by the untimely death of 4 year old David Anderson who died from appendicitis whilsttravelling from Ballaugh to Noble's Hospital in Douglas.
It was David's parents who approached Mr J M Cruikshank, the High Bailiff of Ramsey, who in turn sought the financial assistance of the Trustees of HB Noble's estate, that ultimately led to the creation of Ramsey Cottage Hospital.
The 1907 Hospital consisted of 2 wards, each with 4 beds and 2 cots, 2 single bed wards, an operating theatre and staff amenities. The Hospital has a great tradition of long service amongst its doctors and nurses, with the number of medical staff growing considerably over time. Patient numbers have also increased, as more people made use of the Hospital's modern facilities, including a number of TT riders, wartime Servicemen and internees, holiday makers and shipwrecked mariners.
A timely extension in 1964 met the 20% increase in the Northern Parishes' population head on. A new front door and waiting area greeted patients, and the additional Outpatients' Theatre, Consultants' rooms, X-ray unit and Physiotherapy Department provided greater services to the growing population. Around the same time, the League Of Friends of Ramsey and District Hospitals was set up to help provide for the services that the Hospital delivers, and they continue to support us today.
The Hospital continued to grow throughout the latter half of the 20th century, with the 1990s bringing the creation of the Day Hospital and Resource Centre, and 1997 also saw the opening of the new Theatre block. Moreover, the Hospital continued to modernise with the introduction of a computerised recording system and email greetings for patients.
Thanks to a generous £1.1million bequest from the Cyril John Martin Trust, 30 November 2011 saw the opening of a brand new inpatient ward. Along with the new Martin Ward, the kind donation allowed for the development of a new Training Suite and Library, providing fantastic learning and development facilities for staff, ensuring the best possible treatment of all patients at the Hospital.