Covid-19 Coronavirus

Complaints procedure, Dept of Health & Social Care

If you are not happy with the care you receive or about any aspect of your treatment, you have the right to complain and receive a comprehensive written reply from a relevant senior manager.

Informal Resolution

Most issues can be resolved without you having to make a complaint. We encourage anyone with concerns to speak directly with the professional involved in their care (for example your care co-ordinator, doctor or named nurse) or the manager of the service you are engaged with. This is an informal way to address your concerns and to see if they can be resolved quickly without the need of escalating it to the formal complaint process.

However, if you don't feel like you can solve these issues informally or if your concerns remain unresolved, you should make a complaint through the NHS Complaints Procedure. For more information about the Complaints process and your rights, please see the leaflet, 'NHS Complaints Procedure - A Patient's Guide'. Complaints around detention under the Mental Health Act 1998 cannot be dealt with under the NHS Complaints Procedure but are dealt with under a different process. See below.

When should I complain?

You should complain as soon as possible, but within six months of the event or as soon as the matter has come to your attention.

How to complain?

You should complain in writing to the Complaints Manager using the address below.

Complaints Manager

Mental Health Service

Reayrt Noa

Noble's Hospital


Isle of Man


More detailed information is available in our complaints procedure.

Who can complain?

If you cannot make a complaint yourself you can ask someone else to do this on your behalf, but we will need your written consent for this. In this case, we will write to you upon receiving the complaint and ask you to complete a 'consent to share' form.

If you do not wish to make direct contact with the Service, then the Isle of Man Health & Care Association is an independent, confidential advocacy service, which provides support free of charge. It can help you set out your complaint and then liaise on your behalf with the health care service. They can also act as your representative throughout the entire complaints procedure at your request.

Complaints about your detention under the Mental Health Act

Patients have the right to appeal their detention under the Mental Health Act. You can appeal to the Mental Health Review Tribunal for your discharge. To do this you must appeal by completing an application form available from the ward.

Once completed you must ask a member of staff to hand deliver the form to the Patient Rights Officer who will deliver your application to the Tribunal Office. A hearing will be arranged by the Tribunal Office.

Your nearest relative can also write to the Hospital Managers to ask them to allow you to leave hospital. Your nearest relative must apply in writing and must give 72 hours' notice. The letter should be hand delivered to staff on the ward. Your doctor will be asked for a report and if the reports says you should not be discharged, then you will have to stay in hospital.

If you are complaining specifically about your treatment under the Mental Health Act you can also complain directly to the Mental Health Commission (MHC). The MHC is an independent body who is concerned with safeguarding the rights of those detained under the Act. You can find out more about the Commission by visiting this page.

Back to top