Covid-19 Coronavirus

Environmental Health Unit

Contact us

Environmental Health Unit

Regulation Directorate

Department of Environment Food & Agriculture

Thie Slieau Whallian

Foxdale Road

St. John’s


Telephone:+44 1624 685894

Email:Send Email

Counter hours

Monday to Friday 10am to 4pm (excluding public holidays). 

Pest Control Technicians operate between 8am and 4:30pm Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays) and may call ahead to arrange access if required.

The following is a summary of our functions:

Food Hygiene / Safety / Standards

  • We maintain a register of food businesses. More information about registering a food business.
  • We carry out proactive food hygiene/ safety inspections.
  • We investigate a range of complaints about food including, contamination, mislabelling, allergens etc.

Health and safety

We investigate accidents and regulate health and safety in lower risk premises. Higher risk premises are regulated by the Health and Safety at Work Inspectorate, for more information see HSWI webpage.

Housing standards

We carry out inspections of flats and Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs) on behalf of local authorities as part of the registration process.

We inspect and enforce standards for houses, flats and HMOs on behalf of local authorities.

Statutory nuisances

We investigate allegations of statutory nuisance on behalf of local authorities, including those arising from:

  • Premises
  • Defective drainage
  • Smoke
  • Dust and effluvia (caused by any trade or trade process only)
  • Overcrowding of houses
  • Kept animals or birds
  • Accumulations or deposits

We also investigate allegations of statutory noise nuisance on behalf of the Department

For further information about statutory nuisance and details of how to take your own action, please see the 'Statutory Nuisance Guidance' in downloadable documents.

Private water supplies

We sample private water supplies at commercial premises annually to ensure they are wholesome and safe. While it is not mandatory for domestic supplies to be monitored or risk assessed, you can request a risk assessment and/or monitoring (sampling and analysis). Please note that the Water Act 1991 allows for the Department to recover their costs for these activities. If information indicates the supply is unwholesome or may be a risk to health, the Department will require appropriate measures to be undertaken to ensure that the supply meets regulatory standards.

Swimming pools

We sample swimming pool water to ensure it is safe to bathe in.

Pest control

Our small team of pest control technicians provide treatments for rodents, bees and wasps in domestic premises free of charge. See link below.

Dangerous buildings and structures

We investigate reports of dangerous buildings and structures on behalf of local authorities (except for Douglas Borough Council and Onchan District Commissioners).

Acupuncture, electrolysis, tattooing, body Piercing

We carry out registration inspections and regulate those performing acupuncture, electrolysis, tattooing and body piercing. More information about registration.

Ship sanitation certificates

We inspecting ships for the purpose of issuing ship sanitation certificates.

Exports of food to Europe and Beyond

We providing attestations and export health certificates for approved premises wishing to export food products.

Local authority functions

(It should be noted that Department officers carry out certain functions as authorised officers of the relevant local authority on the Island).

Environmental Health Unit and Pest Control Service

The Environmental Health Unit aims to ensure that all Isle of Man residents have access to a decent home and to ensure that the public enjoys an environment free from the risk of disease and nuisance. If you would like to log a complaint/query with the Environmental Health Team please submit the form below.

Our Pest Control service exists to ensure that the Isle of Man is kept free from the nuisance of pests and the damage that they can cause.

If you would like to arrange a Pest Control Officer to visit your property please submit the online form below. 

Back to top