Ecosystem and Energy Policy Team Privacy Notice
We are the Ecosystem Policy team which forms part of the Department of Environment, Food and Agriculture (DEFA).
DEFA is a data controller for the purposes of the General Data Protection Regulation (Isle of Man) Order 2018. The Data Protection Officer can be contacted on:
What information is being collected
- Personal contact details (Names, contact numbers, email addresses, home addresses, social media channels)
- Payment details
- Evidence in support of applications
- Photographs/ videos
- Views and opinions
- Vehicle Registrations
How your information is collected
- Application forms
- Recording Forms
- Verbally/ in-person
- Via websites/ social media
- Responses to consultations
The Ecosystem Policy team will use your information to
Process applications and take/make payments
- Issue licenses and consents
- Assess tenders
- Respond to requests for advice or information
- Verify contact details and credentials
- Verify wildlife records and add these into our records.
- Contact interested parties
- Keep a record of conversations
- Carry out statutory duties
- Research/ Gather opinions/data
- Help prevent and detect crime including fraud, money laundering, identity theft or other criminal offences.
The Directorate has a statutory obligation to check and verify the data you provide to us.
The Ecosystem Policy Team’s statutory functions are derived from the following legislation and any secondary legislation made under them:
- Wildlife Act 1990
- Curraghs Acquisition Act 1963
- Endangered Species Act 2010
- Wild Animals Act 180
- Destructive Imported Animals Act 1963
- Minerals Act 1986
- Minerals (Amendment) Act 2006
Third parties we may share your data with include
- Manx Biological Recording Partnership
- Other Isle of Man Government Departments, boards and offices.
- Non-Governmental Organisations
- Joint Nature Conservation Committee and other overseas Government Agencies
- Law enforcement agencies
- Fraud prevention agencies
Information obtained or disclosed by third parties will not be used for any other purpose.
Protecting your information
The Department will:
- keep your information safe and secure in compliance with its information security policy
- only use and disclose your information as detailed in this guide, where necessary
- retain the information for no longer than is necessary and your information will be permanently deleted once the timeframes have been reached
You have a right to access your personal data to ensure that it is accurate, and to request that it is rectified, blocked, erased or destroyed if it is inaccurate.
To make any request relating to your data held by us, please contact the Data Protection Officer for the Department on:
If you are not satisfied with the response you receive, you may also complain to the Information Commissioner, whose details can be found on www.inforights.im, or the relevant supervisory authority. You may have a right to other remedies.
You can find out more information including:
- Contacting our Data Protection Officer on tel: 686781 or by email DPO-DEFA@gov.im
- Visiting the Isle of Man Information Commissioner’s website which can be found at www.inforights.im
- Making a subject access request which is a request for all of the personal data we hold about you.
Obtaining this information in large print, braille, or in an alternative language.