Please let us know if:
- you are not satisfied with the standard of service you have received
- you have not received a service you think should be available to you
- you feel that you have not been treated with respect.
- If you are unhappy with the service that we have provided speak to the person with whom you have been dealing and express your dissatisfaction. We will try to resolve your grievance at this stage.
- Unresolved Issues. If you are still not happy with the situation then either write to or ask to see the Section Manager.
- Complaint received. If you are still unhappy, bring the issue to the attention of the Complaints Officer who will try to resolve your complaint immediately or write to you within 5 working days advising how we will deal with your complaint.
- Statement of response. The Complaints Officer will write to you in any case within 28 days advising you of a decision regarding your complaint or providing you with a new deadline for resolution of the issue.
- Reply to statement of response and appeals procedure. If you feel that the complaint has not been handled satisfactorily, you may respond to the reply from the Complaints Officer appealing the decision. The Complaints Officer will advise you in writing of the Appeals Procedure.
We do take all problems and concerns seriously and whilst it is not possible to please everyone all of the time, we will listen to your point of view and, if it is appropriate, we will deal with your complaint. We will always explain the reasons for our actions.
As a Department we encourage comment and feedback at any time.
The Department’s Complaints Officer
The Complaints Officer, who is normally the Department’s Deputy Chief Executive, has full powers to investigate any complaint received, and where a complaint is upheld, to resolve the matter speedily.
Should you wish to bring a complaint to the attention of the Complaints Officer then this must be done in writing. You can do so personally or through a representative e.g. a Member of Tynwald.
Please write to:
Deputy Chief Executive
St Georges Court
Upper Church Street
+44 1624 686400
The Complaints Officer will need to know:
- the part of the Department that is relevant to your complaint, and the name(s) of the member(s) of staff with whom you have been dealing in relation to the matter (if known);
- a clear description of the complaint and what you would like to be done to resolve the matter;
- your full postal address and telephone number (and e-mail address if you have one).
What will happen when you make a complaint
If we are unable to resolve your complaint immediately we will write to you within 5 working days of receipt and tell you:
- What we understand to be the nature of the complaint;
- How we will deal with your complaint and how long it is likely to take;
- Who is responsible for dealing with your complaint; and
- How we will keep you informed of progress.
We will aim to give you a full written answer to your complaint within 28 working days of receipt, or sooner if possible. If we cannot give you an answer within 28 days we will explain why and give you a new deadline.
Standards for managing a complaint
We will not treat you less favourably than anyone else because of your:
- Sex (male or female)
- legal marital or civil partnership status
- gender reassignment (whether proposed, commenced or completed)
- sexual orientation (LGBT+ and heterosexual)
- race (this includes colour, ethnic or national origin or nationality or caste)
- religious or political beliefs (this includes lack of religious or political beliefs)
- pregnancy and maternity.
This Department is committed to equal opportunities and our aim is to make our complaints policy easy to use and accessible to all of our customers. We will take reasonable steps to accommodate any reasonable adjustments you may have to enable you to access this policy or receive responses to complaints in other formats, and provide such assistance as you may reasonably require. If you would like a response to a complaint in another format (such as Braille, audio CD, BSL video, large print or Easy Read) please contact our general enquiries number on 01624 686400 or email firstname.lastname@example.org