uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Pre-employment checks

When can I start?

Your offer of appointment will be subject to receipt of your acceptance and satisfactory pre-employment checks as set out in your offer letter. A start date can only be arranged once the Employment Services Team has confirmed to the Recruiting Manager that all of your pre-employment checks are complete.  Once the Recruiting Manager has been notified they will be in contact with you to arrange a start date.

Where do I send my forms to?

The following complete forms are to be returned to:

Medical Statement

Return to the Office of Human Resources

Medical Questionnaire (PEMQ1 and PEMQ2)

Return to Occupational Health at the address detailed on the front of the form

All DHA Medical Questionnaires (except police)

Return to Dr McAndry at Independent Medical Services, email:

Personal Information form

Return to the Office of Human Resources

Disclosure Scotland/Barring Service application

Please bring your completed forms, 3 forms of ID and payment (if applicable) in person to the Office of Human Resources

Official Secrets Act/Confidentiality

Return to the Office of Human Resources

Identification – passport/driving licence/birth certificate/marriage certificate/IOM worker confirmation

Original documents to be brought into the Office of Human Resources in person to be verified and photocopies to be taken

Original Qualification Certificates

Return to the Office of Human Resources

Work Permit

Return to the Office of Human Resources

Relocation Form

Return to the Office of Human Resources



When do I apply for a work permit?

The Employment Services Team will issue your offer of appointment and will enclose a link within your offer letter to download a work permit application form.

Please complete section 2 of the work permit application and return to the Office of Human Resources.

Once received, we will process the application and forward to the Work Permit Committee for consideration at their next Committee Meeting.

Once the Committee have approved the permit, you will receive a copy of the work permit and the employer will receive a second copy.

What are you waiting for? Do you have everything you need?

Please contact the Employment Services Team on +44 1624 686300 or email: and a member of the team will be able to give you an update on what we have received/are outstanding for your appointment.

IOM worker status - How do I prove my Manx worker status?

The following documents can be provided to confirm IOM worker status:

  • Original IOM Birth certificate
  • If you have been in full time education on the Island, please provide your original IOM education qualification certificates.
  • If either of your parents were born on the Island, please present both your original birth certificate and their birth certificate to this Office.
  • If married to an IOM worker, please provide your original marriage certificate and evidence your partner is a Manx worker e.g. original Birth certificate.
  • A letter from the IOM Government, Department of Economic Development to confirm that you are a resident on the Island for over 5 years.  

What ID can I use for a DBS check?

Please provide three forms of identification from the following groups:

One Group 1 Document - Primary Trusted Identity Credentials

  • Current valid Passport – UK or EEA (or Non-EEA in combination with a Biometric Residence Permit or current Work Permit/Visa)
  • Biometric Residence Permit (UK)
  • Current Driving Licence (UK) (Full or provisional) Isle of Man / Channel Islands(only valid if presented with photo card and paper licence; except Jersey)
  • Birth Certificate (UK & Channel Islands) - issued within 12 months of date of birth; (Full or short form acceptable including those issued by UK authorities overseas, such as Embassies, High Commissions and HM Forces)

Two Group 2a and/or 2b document – one must be from Group 2a

(One of these documents must verify the individual's current address)

Group 2a Documents - Trusted Government/State Issued Documents

  • Current valid Passport (UK, EEA or Non-EEA)
  • Current UK Driving licence (Photo card or old style paper version)
  • Biometric Residence Permit (UK)
  • Birth Certificate (UK & Channel Islands) - issued within 12 months of date of birth
  • Certified copy of Birth Certificate (UK and Channel Islands) – issued after 12 months of date of birth
  • Marriage/Civil Partnership Certificate (UK)
  • Adoption Certificate (UK)  HM Forces ID Card (UK)
  • Fire Arms Licence (UK)

Group 2b Documents - Financial/Social History Documents

  • Mortgage Statement (UK)**
  • Bank/Building Society Statement (UK)*
  • Credit Card Statement (UK)*
  • Financial Statement ** - e.g. pension, endowment, ISA (UK)
  • P45/P60 Statement **(UK & Channel Islands)
  • Council Tax Statement (UK & Channel Islands) **
  • Work Permit/Visa (UK) (UK Residence Permit) **
  • Utility Bill (UK)* – Not Mobile Telephone
  • Benefit Statement* - e.g. Child Allowance, Pension
  • A document from Central/ Local Government/ Government Agency/ Local Authority giving entitlement (UK & Channel Islands)*- e.g. from the Department for Work and Pensions, the Employment Service , Customs & Revenue, Job Centre, Job Centre Plus, Social Security
  • EU National ID Card
  • Cards carrying the PASS accreditation logo (UK)

* - Less than three months old

** - Issued within the past 12 months

Not denoted – it can be more than 12 months old

Is my current DBS check valid?

We can accept your DBS certificate if: 

  • your DBS certificate was issued within the last 12 months
  • The workforce for your new role is the same as the workforce covered by your previous DBS check, for example, if your new role requires you to work with children and vulnerable adults, your previous DBS check must have had the same workforce checked
  • The DBS certificate was issued for a Government Department. We cannot accept DBS certificates from external organisations.

Note: In some instances the manager may be happy to accept an external DBS certificate if it was issued in the last few months. Please contact the Employment Services Team on +44 1624 686300 to find out if this can be accepted.

I've got my DBS certificate, what happens next?

Please present your original certificate to the Office of Human Resources so that a copy can be taken.

Why do I need another DBS check?

If you have been offered a position which will involve working with children, vulnerable adults or working with highly sensitive information you will be required to undertake a police check prior to commencing in your role.

If you are an internal government employee being offered a new position, please contact the Employment Services Team to see whether you require another check. If you have undertaken a check within the last 12 months and the workforce you are working with is remaining the same, you won’t require another check.

How long does a DBS check take?

DBS checks are currently taking around 4-6 weeks. When you receive your DBS certificate in the post from the Disclosure and Barring Service, please present the original certificate to our office so that we can take a copy and update our records.

Do I need to pay for a DBS check? How – cash, cheque

Within your offer of appointment letter it will state whether you are required to pay for your DBS check.

We accept payments by cheque or postal order only. Please make your cheque payable to the Isle of Man Government.

Did you find what you were looking for?
Back to top