External Relations Overview
The External Relations Division builds productive networks and positive relationships throughout relevant international communities. Under the strategic direction of the Chief Secretary and Director, the External Relations Division is responsible for advising on the constitutional and international obligations which underpin the Isle of Man’s external relations in addition to important matters of associated policy and strategy.
It is vital that the Island builds and maintains strong international relationships. It is our role to support this aim through robust and proactive engagement with the United Kingdom, particularly the UK Ministry of Justice (MoJ). The MoJ is the Island’s official channel of communication with the UK Government the European Union and its member states, key international targets and many other diverse external bodies.
To support these relationships we have an important role in improving international awareness of the Isle of Man. We are also responsible for the delivery of a range of important public services which include all passport, nationality and immigration matters, planning appeals, elections, judicial appointments and the public activities provided by Government House.
Our Communications Unit manages communications activities to both internal and external stakeholders, in addition to domestic and international audiences. We coordinate public relations and promotion across Government, ensuring that all messages are consistent with the Government Strategic Plan and the Freedom to Flourish strategy.
As the field of international affairs is constantly changing, it is the role of the External Relations Division to identify, prioritise and address the key challenges faced by the Chief Minister, Council of Ministers and Isle of Man Government as a whole, by ensuring that –
- the constitutional and legal structures are in place for them to achieve their goals
- we build, develop or enhance good relations with key partners, to raise the Island’s profile and protect the Island’s reputation
- the Isle of Man’s message is communicated effectively to influential key policy makers and decision takers
- the Isle of Man complies with the appropriate international standards
The Division collaborates with all Isle of Man Government Departments, to a greater or lesser degree, to raise the Island’s profile, building on and maintaining relations with London (Ministry of Justice, Westminster, and the City of London) throughout the British Isles (BIC and Jersey/Guernsey), Brussels (EU and MEP network) throughout Europe as well as internationally (Washington). Similarly, our expanded communications role sees us communicating our message all over the world.
In general terms the main functions of the Division are:
Maintenance of Relationship with UK Government
Maintenance of Relationship with UK Government
Ensuring the prompt transmission to the Ministry of Justice of relevant material from the Isle of Man Government and ensuring the proper consideration and dissemination of material received from the Ministry of Justice.
Ensuring that adequate scrutiny of EU developments is maintained in the interests of the Island, and that information received is disseminated to appropriate Government or other agencies.
Treaties and Conventions
Ensuring that consideration is given to whether the Island should be included in relevant treaties and conventions. Co-ordination of information required to be submitted by the Island under various agreements.
International Development Committee
Providing the Secretariat for the Council of Ministers' International Development Committee.
External Relations Team
The External Relations team is as follows:
- Della Fletcher, Executive Director External Relations
- Sam McCauley , Head of External Relations Team
- Anne Shimmin, External Relations Manager Policy & Legislation
- Clair Barks, External Relations Policy Manger – Maternity Leave
- Sara Jones, Acting External Relations Policy Manager
- Rachael Huxley, External Relations Executive Officers
- Carlos Phillips, External Relations Executive Officer.
- Tess Joughin, External Relations Officer
- Jack Doyle, External Relations Officer
- Charlie Shimmins, External Relations Officer
- Joanna Shimmin, External Relations Officer
The Communications Unit also falls within the External Relations Division and this consists of:
- Carol Hunter, Head of Communications;
- Alistair Ramsay, Communications Executive;
- Richard Parslow, Communications Executive;
- Jo Overty, Communications Executive;
- Jonathan Davies, Communications Executive
- Georgina Thompson, Communications Officer
To view the different sections, responsibilities and functions of the External Relations Division, please click on the following links: