uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Travelling with Horses



In the event of a no deal Brexit, the European Commission will determine whether to list the UK (and Isle of Man) as a ‘third country’ and allow exports of horses and other equines to continue from the UK.

If the UK is listed as a third country, to move horses and other equines from the UK to the EU, you’ll need to contact:

  • your official vet to book an appointment so you can have the relevant test taken in time
  • an agent or transporter and tell them when you plan to travel - you may need more time to plan travel through an EU border inspection post (BIP) approved for horses, Ostend in Belgium is the only seaport accessible from the Channel that is approved for horses.

You’ll also need to:

  • get equines tested for certain diseases
  • meet isolation and residency requirements
  • apply for an export health certificate (EHC)
  • check you have the right equine identification (ID) or apply to an issuing body in the UK for a horse passport if you do not already have one
  • check if you need an export welfare declaration

If the UK is not listed as a third country, you will not be able to export horses and other equines from the UK to the EU. Because the EU has previously accepted the UK as a listed third country, the UK expects to continue to meet the requirements for third country status.

More information about taking horses abroad.

Did you find what you were looking for?
Back to top