uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Driving in the EU


International Driving Permits

Drivers with Isle of Man licences have always been required to carry an International Driving Permit when driving in the EU and this position remains the same, regardless of the outcome of EU/UK negotiations.

An IDP is an official, multi-language translation of your driving licence. It can only be issued by the Post Office if you reside in the Isle of Man, hold a full current driving licence and are aged 18 years or over. The permit will remain valid for 1 year from the date of issue and costs £11.

Make sure you have an IDP if you are driving in the EU, a downloadable application formis available.

It is also important to note that because of international conventions that govern the ability to drive in a country outside the UK, there are some EU countries that Isle of Man licence holders MAY NOT be able to drive in. These EU countries are:

  • Estonia
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Croatia

This is because these countries are signatories to the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic, and the Isle of Man is not. They may, however, recognise an IDP issued in the Isle of Man, and so motorists are advised to check before they travel.

UK driving licences are currently recognised by the EU and can be exchanged with each member state. However, should the UK leave the EU without a deal, UK drivers would be required to obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP) to be used in conjunction with their current UK driving licence, for any car journeys in EU countries. Up until now some Isle of Man drivers may have driven in EU countries without an IDP, and because they have not been readily distinguishable from UK drivers this has gone unchallenged. However, once the UK leaves the EU, there may well be additional scrutiny of UK and Isle of Man drivers travelling to the EU.

Motor Insurance – Green Card

A motor insurance Green Card is evidence of motor insurance cover when driving abroad. After Brexit drivers of UK or Isle of Man registered vehicles will need to carry a motor insurance Green Card when driving in the EU and EEA.

Some countries also require separate insurance for trailers. This means that you may also need a separate Green Card for your trailer.

For more information about driving in the EU after Brexit can be found on the UKs Brexit pages, (this should be read in conjunction with the notices above). 

Did you find what you were looking for?
Back to top