Welcome to the Isle of Man reservoirs section, here you will find information on each of the following reservoirs:-
- West Baldwin ReservoirOpened in 1905, the magnitude of this reservoir scheme is formidable: a 300 million gallon reservoir, over 70 feet maximum depth, three quarters of a mile long and 300 yards wide, with a top water area of 60 acres.
- Clypse ReservoirThe Clypse Reservoir is the upper of the two reservoirs in the Groudle valley and impounds the upper reaches of the Groudle River above Onchan. It was constructed by Douglas Waterworks Company during the period 1875 to 1878 to the designs and under the supervision of Daniel Cregeen, a local engineer.
- Sulby ReservoirSulby Reservoir began construction in 1979 to provide a new source for water for the Island’s expanding population. Top water level was reached by the end of April 1983.
- Kerrowdhoo ReservoirKerrowdhoo Reservoir is the lower of the two reservoirs in the valley of the Groudle River, its catchment area is therefore the same as that of Clypse Reservoir and covers 562 acres. The reservoir was constructed during the period 1891 to 1893.
- Construction of Ballure ReservoirBallure Reservoir was begun in the summer of 1881. The work was carried out under the supervision of an Isle of Man based civil engineer Mr Frederick Saunderson, from designs prepared by the consulting engineers Bateman, Hill and Bateman, one of the leading dam engineers in England at that time. The dam was completed in December 1884.
- Construction of Block Eary ReservoirBlock Eary Reservoir was constructed during the Second World War and completed in 1945. It has a capacity of 50,000 cubic metres with a surface water area at top water level of 0.7 hectares.
- Construction of Cringle ReservoirCringle Reservoir was constructed between 1938 and 1946 and has a capacity of 14,100 cubic meters with a surface water area at top water level of 1.8 hectares. The reservoir is 245m at its longest point.
|Terms & Conditions||©2015 Crown Copyright|