As a Division of the Treasury, the purpose and actions of Internal Audit are primarily determined by the Treasury's Corporate Plan. Within that plan, a specific key area is outlined as follows: -
- "To maintain sound public finances"
The following aims have been derived from this statement:-
- Providing assurance to Accounting Officers across all Government Departments, offices and Statutory Boards on their internal control systems;
- Conduct examinations into financial irregularities and support the investigation of fraud;
- Maintenance and coordination of the Data Protection registrations for Government;
- Assist in systems development and project management support and review throughout the Government;
- Promote the principles of Control Risk Self Assessment and risk management;
- Assist in obtaining value for money.