Conservation AreasWhat is a Conservation Area? | Proposed Conservation Areas within the Southern Area Plan | What Planning Controls apply to Conservation Areas?
What is a Conservation Area?
A Conservation Area is an area of special architectural or historic interest, the character or appearance of which it is desirable to enhance or preserve. Please see the policy document for further information on Conservation Areas which is available as a downloadable document at the foot of this page.
In the Isle of Man, there are 20 designated Conservation Areas. These are:
Please click on any of the above to view a map showing the extent of the area.
Proposed Conservation Areas within the Southern Area Plan
Draft Appraisal documents and associated Maps showing the proposed boundaries for towns and villages identified as having the potential for Conservation Area status were raised as part of the Southern Area Plan (modified draft to be the subject of a public inquiry October 2011), to view the areas proposed click on the documents below.
- Port St Mary - draft conservation area Character Appraisal
- Port St Mary proposed conservation area Map
- Cregneash proposed conservation area Map
- Port Erin - draft conservation area Character Appraisal
- Port Erin proposed conservation area Map
- Ballabeg - draft conservation area Character Appraisal
- Ballabeg proposed conservation area Map
- Ballasalla and Silverdale - draft conservation area Character Appraisal
- Silverdale proposed conservation area Map
What Planning Controls apply to Conservation Areas?
Because of the special nature of Conservation Areas, there are tighter planning controls and obligations in respect of demolition, new development, property alterations and advertisements and signs. Below are some useful links which provide some information on property maintenance and building conservation.
As a rule of thumb all properties within a Conservation Area are excluded from all permitted development and planning permission is required in most instances. Any queries should be directed to the Conservation Office. Please telephone 685944 or e-mail Steven.Moore@gov.im.