Reserved Parking Places/Permits For disabled persons and certain members of the Emergency Services
The following criteria must be met in order to obtain a reserved parking place or permit.
There are 3 categories of people for whom these reserved parking places may be authorised.
- Disabled persons who need easy access to their homes.
- The carers of disabled person who cannot be left unattended whilst the vehicles is collected from elsewhere.
- Members of the emergency services, e.g. firemen, lifeboat men.
The following criteria are adopted when considering applications for reserved parking places.
- The Disabled person or a member of the household must be the driver of the vehicle.
- The disabled person must be in possession of an orange or blue disabled badge issued by the DHSS.
- There should be no other suitable parking facilities available in the area, e.g. garage, driveway.
- There must be a genuine parking difficulty in the area.
- Applications from members of the emergency services must be accompanied by a letter from their office in charge confirming that the applicant is on twenty-four hour callout duty and in the case of the Fire Services that they actually support the application.
The Application Form is available for download in PDF Format using the link below which must be submitted to the address given in the Contact icon and must be accompanied by the vehicle registration (log) book together with proof of residence, for example a rent book or a bill from a statutory authority such as gas, electricity, telephone etc.
If the application is approved a Road Traffic Order must be prepared and advertised before any instruction can be given for appropriate lines and markings to be made in the street adjacent to the residence. This process may take several months but is provided free of charge to those who qualify and the reserved parking place is situated as close to an applicant's place of residence as is safely possible.
When a place has been authorised a permit is issued which must be displayed together with the orange or blue disabled persons badge issued by the DHSS (in the case of disabled persons) whenever the vehicle is parked in the reserved parking place.
All reserved parking permits are renewed on an annual basis in December. Reminders and renewal forms are sent to all permit holders in November. The reserved parking areas for those permits that are not renewed will be removed.