14th May 2012
Department thanks public for views on consultation
THE Department of Education and Children is thanking the public for submitting views to its consultation on its new policy on dyslexia.
The consultation was launched in March when parents and the wider public were asked for their views on the updated policy and associated guidance notes for parents/teachers.
The Department said the new policy and guidance was in line with current research and would raise awareness and understanding, improve assessment and, ultimately, lead to better educational outcomes for the one in 10 children who are dyslexic or have difficulty with the written word.
By the close of the consultation on Friday, more than 20 contributions had been received and Joyce Monroe, Senior Educational Psychologist with the DEC, said she was grateful to the individuals and organisations who had taken the time to send in views.
‘These will now be studied closely and we will take them into account when finalising the policy and guidance, which will be implemented from the start of the new school year in September,’ Mrs Monroe said.