KEY DATABASESA | B | C | D | E | H | M | N | O | P | R | S | U | W
There are a number of databases that are available. Some are password protected and you will need to contact library staff to find out if you are eligible to obtain one. The databases provide references together with abstracts if one is available. Sometimes full text is available.
- AMED (ALLIED & COMPLEMENTARY MEDICINE ) - Allied & Complementary Medicine is a unique database covering the fields of complementary or alternative medicine.This link will take you to "My Athens" log in page. Log in with your NHS Athens username and password.
- BioMED - BioMed Central is an independent publishing house committed to providing immediate open access to peer-reviewed biological and medical research
- BNI (British Nursing Index) - is a UK nursing and midwifery database, covering over 270 UK journals and other English language titles. This link will take you to "My Athens" log in page. Log in with your NHS Athens username and password. For further step by step instructions for accessing this resource click on the "Library Guides" tab and choose the appropriate guide.
- CINAHL - The CINAHL database is a comprehensive and authoritative source of information for nurses, allied health professionals, and others interested in health care. CINAHL covers all aspects of nursing and allied health disciplines. This link will take you to "My Athens" log in page. Log in with your NHS Athens username and password. For step by step instructions for accessing this resource click on the "Library Guides" tab and choose the appropriate guide.
- COCHRANE LIBRARY - The COCHRANE Library is an electronic publication designed to supply high quality evidence to inform people providing and receiving care, and those responsible for research, teaching, funding and administration at all levels. Free access.
- Department of Health - Department of Health provides strategic leadership for public health.
- EMBASE- provides current and comprehensive information on drugs and pharmacology, and all other aspects of human medicine and related disciplines. This link will take you to "My Athens" log in page. Log in with your NHS Athens username and password.
- HMIC Health Management Information Consortium - compilation of data from two sources, the Department of Health's Library and Information Service and the King's Fund Information and Library Service. Coverage includes, official publications, journal articles and grey literature. Topics include, health service policy, management and administration and lots more. This link will take you to "My Athens" log in page. Log in with your NHS Athens username and password.
- Medical Masterclass – Learning materials for the MRCP (UK) examinations. Please contact a member of staff for access details.
- MEDLINE - is a vast source of medical information, covering the whole field of medicine including dentistry, veterinary medicine and medical psychology. (Athens password required). http://auth.athensams.net/my
- National Electronic Library for Medicines (NELM) - NELM is a medicines information portal for healthcare professionals http://www.nelm.nhs.uk/en/
- NHS Evidence - NHS Evidence is a resource that provides access to authoritative health and social care evidence and best practice through a web-based portal. It is manages by the the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE).
- OT Seeker - OT Seeker is a database that contains abstracts of systematic reviews and randomised controlled trials relevant to occupational therapy. http://www.otseeker.com/
- PEDro - PEDro is a free database of over 19,000 randomised trials, systematic reviews and clinical practice guidelines in physiotherapy http://www.pedro.org.au/
- PROQUEST - Search over 1500 full text journals online. (Athens password required). http://auth.athensams.net/my.
- PsycINFO - covers psychological practice and research as well as the related clinical, social and biological disciplines. (Athens password required). http://auth.athensams.net/my
- PUBMED - PubMed is a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine that includes over 16 million citations from MEDLINE and other life science journals for biomedical articles back to the 1950s. Access free. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed/
- RefWorks - A database for managing your references. For access details, please contact a member of staff.
- Social Care Online - Social Care Online provides a range of information and research on all aspects of social care and social work.
- SCIE - Social Care Institute for Excellence.
- UpToDate - UpToDate is a database that helps clinicians provide the best patient care. It uses current evidence to answer clinical questions quickly and easily at the point of care. Access is either via a Government network machine (needing no password) or with an Athens password to access off site. Please contact a member of staff for details.
- WHO - Full text of WHO publications and documents is available free from WHOLIS, the WHO Library web database. WHOLIS indexes all WHO publications from 1948 onwards and articles from WHO-produced journals and technical documents from 1985.