POLICY AND LEGISLATION
If you require information on Primary or Secondary Legislation for the Department of Health, please use the contact details below.
Tel: +44 (0)1624 642627 or 685005
Address: Policy and Legislation Team, Department of Health, Crookall House, Douglas, Demesne Road, Isle of Man. IM1 3QA
Find Acts online:www.gov.im/infocentre/acts/
The aim of the Policy and Legislation Team is to review and update all of the Department of Health’s existing primary and secondary legislation whilst, at the same time, introducing new legislation as this is required.
We are currently working to:
- Introduce a scheme for recovering the costs of providing health services to patients who subsequently receive a compensation payment in respect of the injury for which they were treated.
- Bring forward a Health Services Bill to:
- a) update the NHS Act 2001 to make it fit for the current and future purposes of the Department in relation to the provision of Health Services,
- b) introduce legislation to regulate non-NHS health services, and
- c) amend the Medical Act 1985 to incorporate changes to the revalidation process for doctors.
- Bring forward legislation to strengthen the Public Health (Tobacco) Act 2006 by introducing further controls.
- Review and update:
- the Medicines Act 2003,
- the Misuse of Drugs Act 1976,
- the Poisons Act 1979,
- the Human Tissue Act 1986 and
- the Human Organ Transplants Act 1993
- Work with other agencies to develop legislation to reduce adverse impact on health.
- Monitor the impact of legislation and policies on the health of the population.