Old Kirk Lonan, St Adamnan
|Add to brochure|
In 1188, Keeill-ny-Traie (The Chapel by the Shore) was given in land to the monks of St Bees and the building was rebuilt. Keeill-ny-Traie became known as St Adamnan, the parish church of Lonan (Kirk Lonan). The old church fell into disrepair, till in 1895 Rev John Quine Vicar saved the small building with restoration. Celtic crosses are held in a shelter built in the corner of the old church yard. One large cross is still in its (believed) original position within the old keeill churchyard.
|Terms & Conditions||©2015 Crown Copyright|