Required Records / Identification & Tracing
‘Pigs (Records, Identification and Movement) Order 2007’
PIG HOLDING NUMBERS
Everyone who keeps pigs is required to have a 'Pig Holding Number' - please contact DEFA Agriculture on 685844 or Agriculture@gov.im if you have not yet applied for your Holding Number.
Moving pigs direct to slaughter(i.e. direct from holding to slaughterhouse, without going onto another livestock holding): Before moving, pigs shall have a slapmark (tattoo of the geographic identifier followed by the holding number i.e. a 6 digit number e.g. 018 123) applied on each front shoulder area of the pig, or an eartag or tattoo as for other movements. The slapmark must be legible for the life of the pig and throughout the processing of its carcase.
Moving pigs (other than direct to slaughter): Before moving, pigs shall have an ‘identification’ mark, consisting of either:
- an eartag stamped or printed with the letters “UK” followed by the geographic identifier followed by the holding number; or
- a tattoo of the geographic identifier followed by the holding number that is legible for the life of the pig.
An eartag shall be:–
- made of either metal or plastic or a combination of metal and plastic;
- easy to read during the pig’s lifetime; tamper-resistant; incapable of re-use;
- sufficiently heat-resistant that neither the eartag nor the information printed or stamped on it can be damaged by the processing of the carcase following slaughter;
- of a design that will remain attached to the pig without being harmful to it.
Each pig movement off your holding must be recorded in either an electronic or written form within 36 hours of the movement. These records must be kept for at least six years and shall be made available, on demand, to an inspector at any time.
Once a year you must record the maximum number of pigs on your Holding.
EXPORTS: Pigs for export are required to be individually identified (a unique number allotted to an individual pig by the keeper) in addition to the identification mark (eartag or tattoo).
MOVEMENT LICENCES - please see the 'Movement Licences' page.
For further information please contact DEFA Agriculture on 685844 or Agriculture@gov.im