Export Lairage Inspections: Conditions
Veterinary Officers of DEFA Agriculture or Private Veterinary Surgeons (OV) are required to inspect farm livestock prior to their consignment to Great Britain. The animals are certified to meet the standards required by DEFRA.
DEFRA require animals to be:
- Individually identified
- Fit to travel
- Free from certain specified diseases
- From a holding free of specific diseases.
Duties of the exporter
- Provide a list of required information at least* 48 hours in advance.
- Book an inspection time in advance.
- Provide suitable facilities for the inspection.
- Large consignments (>100) of sheep must therefore be notified in consignment groups, kept separate and loaded accordingly
- Sign an undertaking to the effect that the animals will be kept separate from uncertified stock from the time of certification until reaching their destination and that the transport will be cleansed and disinfected.
* = for email applications please allow 48 hours notice; for any other type of application (e.g. post or fax) please allow 72 hours notice.
While DEFA Agriculture expects to be able to provide the service to all exporters meeting the above criteria there will be occasions where other duties or numerous requests for inspections will exceed the staffing resources. In such cases exports will be dealt with on a strictly “first come first served basis”.
Once signed, certificates will remain valid for 72 hours provided the certified animals are kept separate as required by DEFRA. If animals are mixed or the 72 hour period is exceeded a further inspection is required.
Exporters are responsible for the costs of inspection, which are charged on a cost recovery time basis (office to office) with mileage charge added. Some exemptions from charges are made for pedigree stock that are being consigned to pedigree shows or show and sale.
Identification of Livestock
- Cattle requirements - please see Export Controls for Cattle
- Sheep requirements - please see Export Controls for Sheep
- Pig requirements - please see Export Controls for Pigs
One certificate can apply to no more than one wagon or one wagon + attached trailer.
Please contact DEFA Agriculture on 685844 or Agriculture@gov.im - please remember to book lairage inspections in advance.