Council Of Ministers
Council of Ministers Division
The Council of Ministers Division plays a central role within the Public Service, supporting colleagues to ensure that the Chief Minister and the Council of Ministers receive timely advice, briefs, reports and secretariat services.
We ensure that Government is kept appropriately informed when decisions are made. We play a vital communication role between politicians and officers throughout the Departments, Statutory Boards and Offices, making sure that efforts are focused on agreed policies and priorities.
We lead the coordination of both Island-wide and cross-Government initiatives.
With regard to policy, our aim is to ensure that all proposed corporate policy initiatives, programmes and services are properly researched and analysed, and related financial implications are fully assessed.
We also work in partnership with the Chief Officer Group to develop the processes required to monitor cross-cutting corporate issues and support project groups established to develop improvements where required.
In summary, the role of the Council of Ministers Division is to enable the Chief Minister and Council of Ministers to provide successful leadership to the Government and people of the Isle of Man, by way of:
- high quality advice and guidance to the Chief Minister and Council of Ministers
- secretarial support and advice to the Council of Ministers, to Council of Ministers Standing Committees and to various ad hoc committees
- advice and support to the Council of Ministers and Government Departments on public relations issues
- advice and guidance to the Council of Ministers and Government Departments in relation to the Human Rights Act 2001
- advice and guidance to the Council of Ministers and Government Department's in relation to the Residence Act 2001
- advice and guidance to the Council of Ministers in relation to its initiative to support Children & Young People of the Island
- supporting the development of corporate business planning through co-ordination and advice to assist with the establishment of departmental policies which meet Governments policy aims and objectives
- ensuring that effective and high quality administrative support is provided for the Chief Minister and Council of Ministers, including preparation of briefs and suggested answers for questions in Tynwald, the House of Keys and Legislative Council
- ensuring that Council of Ministers gives consideration to those items where there is a statutory obligation and that Council is provided with appropriate documentation relating to any subject matter when appropriate, to include recommendations for appropriate courses of action
Council of Ministers Reports
Please click on the following link to view Council of Ministers reports and consultation responses.
Summary of Proceedings
The regular Summary of Proceedings of the Council of Ministers, previously available only to Members of Tynwald, are now available to the general public on the Government website at COMIN Proceedings. A paper copy can be obtained from the Tynwald Library, Finch Road, Douglas. The Summary of Proceedings are available from December 2006 onwards.
You will need Adobe Acrobat to download documents that are PDFs, this is available free by following this link: