The Arts Council places a high priority on its work in developing arts in the community. In addition, many of the proactive initiatives of the Council are community orientated, e.g. banner and lantern making workshops, community plays such as Wire & Wool and an Island choir performance of Carmina Burana with the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra in July 2006.
The benefits of the arts, especially in terms of quality of life and developing life skills, are at the core of all arts development work. The importance of the arts in defining culture and community is also a key element within a healthy society. The development and underpinning of all community arts work, in terms of skill development and financial support, is also seen as fundamental to arts devleopment.
The remit of the Arts Council is to advise and encourage organisations in all areas of the arts to develop and expand their activities by providing such assistance as is possible within available resources, not necessarily financial, in promoting concerts, recitals and plays etc.
CHURCH HALL FOR HIRE AT REASONABLE COST The Arts Council has been advised that All Saints’ Church, Alexander Drive, Douglas, is very keen to see the Church building used more often, especially during the week. The Church has excellent acoustics which make it ideally suited for use by any type of musical performance (vocal or instrumental).
The Church believes that hire charges should simply cover the cost of upkeep of the building and reimburse the cost of heating, with no element for profit, so they are considered reasonable. It is hoped that the Church will become more widely recognised as a community facility for those interested in music and the arts. For more information, please contact Mr Antony Hamilton at email@example.com.
THE FOLLOWING ARE CONTACT DETAILS FOR SOME LOCAL ARTS GROUPS. If you would like your details included, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 694598.
- AFTER SCHOOL ART CLUB: Carola Colley (Fine Artist), Rheast Cottage Studio, Coast Road, Smeale. Telephone 01624 880272, email email@example.com, website www.carola-colley.co.uk. Studio visits welcome by arrangement.
- ARCHIBALD KNOX SOCIETY: Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 665459.
- ISLE OF MAN ARTISTS CREATIVE NETWORK: A forum for artists to meet other artists and to exchange and share ideas and points of view. All disciplines and media welcome. Contact Matt Owen at email@example.com or Kathleen Jerry at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BEAUTIFUL MUSIC STRING QUARTET. Contact Ruth Douthwaite on 01624 620202 or 07624 467102.
- BIG WHEEL BLUES FESTIVAL: Email email@example.com or Dave McLean, firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone 01624 845146 / 07624 411862. www.bigwheelblues.com.
- CASTLETOWN METROPOLITAN SILVER BAND: Hon. Secretary, Simon Court, 10 Farrants Park, Castletown IM9 1NF, telephone 01624 631232 (daytime), 01624 823950 (evening), email email@example.com.
- CENTENARY CENTRE, PEEL: Chairman, Keith Hewson, telephone 01624 878361 email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- COOISH: Director, Phil Gawne, telephone 01624 834844/07624 416221, email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org, website www.myspace.com/cooish.
- EMBROIDERERS' GUILD (ISLE OF MAN BRANCH): Chairman, Liz Brand, telephone 01624 833196, email email@example.com.
- EQUITY (ISLE OF MAN) meet on the last Tuesday of every month in the meeting room at the Archibald Knox (Onchan). All Equity members or prospective members are welcome. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.
- ERIN ARTS CENTRE: Chairman, John Bethell MBE, Erin Arts Centre, Victoria Square, Port Erin IM9 6LD, telephone 01624 835858, fax 01624 836658, email email@example.com, website www.erinartscentre.com.
- HEDIYA ARABIC DANCE: Adrienne Thompson, telephone 07624 210200 (evenings and weekends), email firstname.lastname@example.org, website www.hediya.org.uk.
- ISLE OF MAN CHORAL SOCIETY: Music Director, Julian Power, 48 Tromode Park, Douglas IM2 5LG, telephone 01624 624574. Secretary, Jim Cowell, 7 Spinney Close, Douglas IM2 1NF, telephone 01624 671138, email email@example.com. New members always welcome - no auditions and no previous experience required.
- IOM ORGANISTS' ASSOCIATION: Chairman, Mr John Riley, 13 Alberta Drive, Onchan IM3 1LT, telephone 01624 675569, firstname.lastname@example.org, or Secretary, Mrs Alex Tawney on 01624 833725 / 07624 462221, email@example.com.
- IOM SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA: Chairman, Janet Warburton, telephone 623283/462898, email firstname.lastname@example.org or Secretary, Paula Wadsworth telephone 490529, email email@example.com Rehearses on Wednesdays during term time, 7.30pm at St Ninian's Church..
- KILLEY ACADEMY OF DANCING: Contact Ellis Killey, 22 Ballachurry Close, Onchan IM3 4BE, Telephone 01624 623414.
- MAGICIANS OF MANN: Mike Clague, Secretary, Clove Cottage, Main Road, Kirk Michael IM6 2HG, telephone 01624 878328, email firstname.lastname@example.org, website www.youngmagiciansofmann.com.
- MANX GILBERT & SULLIVAN SOCIETY: www.gands.org.im/.
- MANX JAZZ CLUB: Alan Grubb, telephone 01624 861095 email email@example.com or Brian Barton 01624 676735. Website www.freewebs.com/manxjazzclub.
- MANX NATIONAL YOUTH THEATRE: Youth Centre, Kensington Road, Douglas. Contact Fiona Helleur on 07624 437339.
- MANX SAXOPHONE ENSEMBLE: Jem Cotton, telephone 01624 842874 / 0792 124 5775, email firstname.lastname@example.org, website www.saxband.co.uk.
- RAMSEY MUSIC SOCIETY: Angie Parsons at email@example.com.
- RAMSEY TOWN BAND: Fixture Secretary: Mrs Julia Garfield, telephone 01624 812754, website www.ramseytownband.com.
- RUSHEN SILVER BAND: Bandroom, Qualtrough's Lane, Ballafesson, Port Erin. Contact Mr A Crebbin (Secretary), 72 Ballamaddrell, Port Erin IM9 6AZ, email firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone 01624 933286, website www.rushensilverband.org.im.
- SAYLE GALLERY: Email email@example.com, website www.saylegallery.com, telephone 01624 674557.
- SHENNAGHYS JIU: Juan Garrett, telephone 01624 819068, website www.shennaghys.org.
- SOUTHERN PHOTOGRAPHIC SOCIETY: Email firstname.lastname@example.org, website www.southernps.org.
- YN CHESHAGHT GHAILCKAGH: Secretary, Brian Stowell, 16 Hilary Road, Douglas IM2 3EG, telephone 01624-623821/07624-431573, email: email@example.com.
|Terms & Conditions||©2013 Crown Copyright|